10,000 kicks: useless or not?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems bizarre to acknowledge the appreciation shown, but rude not to, so I'll do it quick: thanks... :-). I'm sure a little positive feedback now and then helps many of us keep motivated to think hard and post to the best of our ability.

Not bizarre at all. As an aside, I believe that appreciation is a very powerful thing and I encourage anyone, if they read a post that they enjoyed, to tell the person who wrote it. You might be surprised how much of an effect a few kind words ("thank you") can have on someone. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

• 3 months later...

i calculated about 200 reverse punches a week, thats 10, 400 a year!! ive done karate for about 6 years thats about 62, 400 reverse punches in my karate lifetime...that builds muscle memory faster than actually thinking and executing that move...basicly ive done it 62, 400 times and thats why i had such a fast punch im junior british champion :D

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

I liked Tony's post, as well. Very well thought out.

I do think that simplicity is the key to success. Keeping things simple are what make them repetitive, and allow for one to gain a high level of skill in a shorter period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, neither of the two would make me fear the person more. The most practical training, is someone who has fought/sparred with 1,000 people 1,000 times. Such experience from these fights would grant unimaginable insight to any fight from then on.

Faith without deeds, is worthless

~Namaste~

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly, neither of the two would make me fear the person more. The most practical training, is someone who has fought/sparred with 1,000 people 1,000 times. Such experience from these fights would grant unimaginable insight to any fight from then on.

Ummm... let's say you do a 100 man kumite every morning and afternoon, then after 50 days you've fought 10,000 people. So, you can do 7 cycles per year, which means you'll be done in 1000/7 ~= 143 years. Completely ignoring the wreck your body and brain will be in....

But, the general concept has merit... :-).

Cheers,

Tony

10,000 kicks: useless or not?

Useless if done incorrectly, AND, not useless if done correctly!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you want to go into the literal aspect of the quote, if you practice 10000 kicks at one time, what are the chances you are going to remember even 100 of those kicks. However, if you practice one technique 10000 times (which in all actuality is very possible) not only are you most likely going to perfect that one technique, but it would probably be a very devastating attack as well.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

If you want to go into the literal aspect of the quote, if you practice 10000 kicks at one time, what are the chances you are going to remember even 100 of those kicks. However, if you practice one technique 10000 times (which in all actuality is very possible) not only are you most likely going to perfect that one technique, but it would probably be a very devastating attack as well.

I couldn't agree more. I've been working on my ground game for a few months and its so strange not having a reflex reaction to anything, I mean anything. Every move I make on the ground is thought out and easily recognized by my more experienced partners. With that being said, I'm starting to recognize what doesn't work well for my body type.

I'm a stand up fighter so the technique I want to perfect is the sprawl. I work on sprawling in each class. I do exercises that help me build my strength for sprawling.