• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

are all white belts the same?

This topic really gets under my skin. I guess because I put so little stock in the color belt people wear. I could *almost* see this person taking issue with the amount of experience you have and telling you that it takes years of experience to really understand what you are talking about (I don't necessarily agree, but I could see the point of view). But had you trained for a long time but never bothered to test for a belt, I think your ability and experience would be far beyond a new white belt.

So I have to agree with Jeffrey. Don't worry about it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Blade, I know what you feel exactly. I sometimes feel the conundrum when because say that you are a Green Belt waiting just for the exam in order to be a blue belt. You are technically ready and basically a blue belt already! Now say you got your blue belt. You know nothing of blue belt. So you're technically still a green belt! I don't know if I lost you there, but it makes sense to me in my head :wink:

Anyways, I wouldn't call you cocky or anything and I don't like to judge people. I think the other guy wasn't "wrong" but was still kinda mean to call it out. I mean, it's really none of his business. But I guess, in the future, just say that you are White belt and almost Yellow! =D

Or... have fun trolling him and saying that in certain karate dojos, a white belt is for beginners... but also for the Grand Masters. Why do grand masters have a white belt? To signify that they have completed the cycle. They have mastered karate and all of its forms. Yet, they have no form. They are formless.

... You are that Grand Master. end of discussion. Have fun!

Sounds Bruce Lee ish, but true story! :D

Quoting Fearun 9033:

Or... have fun trolling him and saying that in certain karate dojos, a white belt is for beginners... but also for the Grand Masters. Why do grand masters have a white belt? To signify that they have completed the cycle. They have mastered karate and all of its forms. Yet, they have no form. They are formless.

... You are that Grand Master. end of discussion. Have fun!

Ha ha, I love it. The point being, it does not have to be so blasted serious, and it's all in the way you look at it!

I also liked your point about being an advanced green belt or a new blue belt. (Although in my school, green is 5th and 4th kyu, and blue is 9th and 8th -- but that doesn't matter). I have had that feeling myself. When I had been 4th kyu green belt for a while, towards the end I felt pretty good about my training, and that I was ready to be brown belt, but then when I got brown, I felt very green! I mean both in the sense of being new to it, and also maybe I wasn't as hot as I thought, as I struggled to correct and improve all of my "training challenges".

Your basic point, to "just have fun" is really what it's all about though, isn't it?

Yes yes! Have fun, never take things you don't have a stake in too seriously. Besides, arguing on the internet is pretty pointless I find.

I'm sorry I didn't think about the belt color in other styles, I must've sounded so stupid! I thought that all belt colors were same for all styles, now I know =)

Yayy, glad to see my logic made some sense for someone :D

Well Blade, I know what you feel exactly. I sometimes feel the conundrum when because say that you are a Green Belt waiting just for the exam in order to be a blue belt. You are technically ready and basically a blue belt already! Now say you got your blue belt. You know nothing of blue belt. So you're technically still a green belt! I don't know if I lost you there, but it makes sense to me in my head :wink:

You didnt lose me, I understand what you are saying. Its so true.

I think to avoid this kind of thing anymore I will say I'm white belt and almost yellow from now on. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I think to avoid this kind of thing anymore I will say I'm white belt and almost yellow from now on.

And hopefully very soon you won't have that problem anymore, anyway. :D At least not until you're a yellow belt who's almost a whatever comes next (orange?).

I think to avoid this kind of thing anymore I will say I'm white belt and almost yellow from now on.

And hopefully very soon you won't have that problem anymore, anyway. :D At least not until you're a yellow belt who's almost a whatever comes next (orange?).

ya. orange. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic really gets under my skin. I guess because I put so little stock in the color belt people wear. I could *almost* see this person taking issue with the amount of experience you have and telling you that it takes years of experience to really understand what you are talking about (I don't necessarily agree, but I could see the point of view). But had you trained for a long time but never bothered to test for a belt, I think your ability and experience would be far beyond a new white belt.

So I have to agree with Jeffrey. Don't worry about it.

Heh, heh.....yeah.

In response to OP, I'll once again use analogy. Say for instance, a Shodan level Karateka were to switch schools (maybe for work relocation, school closing, political disagreement, whatever other reason). In many cases, their previous rank wouldn't necessarily be recognized at the new school; possibly requiring resumption all the way back to white.

In this example..... Would this person be a beginner? No. The belt merely signifies their place in the new school.

So I'd say yes it is entirely plausible, the concept of an "advanced" white, yellow, orange, blue, brown, plaid, camo, whatever belt. Arguably none of the fruity colors matter until you are recognized as black in your respective organization.