• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

are all white belts the same?

I wasn't meaning it in a bad way, for what it's worth. You're "karate baka" just like a lot of us here, which makes you A-OK in my book. Sometimes on Internet forums things can get taken out of context and that is probably why that guy was arguing with you. I've had posts of my own taken out of context, it just happens.

Everyone teaches each other in karate, that's the beauty of it.

And positive thinking is the ONLY way to think. The only person who can set limitations on what you do is you. The moment you think "I can't" you've already defeated yourself. Don't be afraid to aim as high as you want to. Shoot for the stars and you might just hit one. If you shoot at the ground, yes you'll hit it but that's not really much of an accomplishment is it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting that someone jumped all over you for calling yourself an "advanced whitebelt". It almost sounds like someone trying to make themselves feel better by putting you down.

He saw the word "advanced" and somehow thought you were trying to exaggerate your experience. I would have seen that same phrase and read it as you saying "I recognize that I am a novice, but I have been in the dojo and I do know what it's about".

I'm curious now. What was the context of this? Were you disagreeing with him and so he put you down to discredit you? Were you trying to correct someone? What prompted him to argue with you about this?

Modesty is the forerunner of humility. Entering the dojo with a full cup will only make your journey more difficult as it creates both internal and external conflicts. The walls created between peers will eventually crumble but at what cost?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm curious now. What was the context of this? Were you disagreeing with him and so he put you down to discredit you? Were you trying to correct someone? What prompted him to argue with you about this?

Ok I tell you. I was watching youtube videos of people testing for their yellow belts in shotokan to see if I could get an idea of what a test is like. Cause my 8th kyu is soon. and i never had a karate test before. and originally thats why I entered the tournament, to learn to preform in front of people to practice for my 8th kyu. I never expected to win anything. (btw there I go with my negativity again. Feh.) Anyway, I found one with what would be considered by my senseis as a not a good kata. (because they are partcular) I posted and said if i did my kata like this my senseis would hit the dirt and start twitching cause i'd make em look bad. Understand I wasnt making fun of the person doing the kata, it just wouldnt be very good according to my association's standards. Anyway along the line I used the words advanced white belt to describe myself. Because i said that, and the fact I won a gold medal with heian shodan, I'd be expected to do it well. (possibly the sensei's favoritism towards me might also play a part. Because you're either under scrutiny or they're linient towards you and more strict with someone else.) That's when the guy came in and said calling myself advanced white belt is silly because you dont even have to test for it and all white belts are the same. He also said gold medal doesnt make me 'advanced' white belt. all it means is that i got 1st place. That's when i said not all white belts are the same cause some know more stuff than a white belt who just joined and doesn't know any Shotokan.

btw, 'karate baka'? I'm not sure what that is, but I'd guess its not something bad =]

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Personally I would not worry about it. On this everyone is going thier own view. I know our kids have a white strip which would make them an advanced white belt. In the long run it's just a belt to hold your gi together.

"Karate baka" is a karate fanatic, basically.

Thanks.

The haha, yeah. Just 5 months in karate and I've already developed such a love for it im a fanatic :P

I havent even missed a class yet!

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Ok I tell you. I was watching youtube videos of people testing for their yellow belts in shotokan to see if I could get an idea of what a test is like. Cause my 8th kyu is soon. and i never had a karate test before. and originally thats why I entered the tournament, to learn to preform in front of people to practice for my 8th kyu. I never expected to win anything. (btw there I go with my negativity again. Feh.) Anyway, I found one with what would be considered by my senseis as a not a good kata. (because they are partcular) I posted and said if i did my kata like this my senseis would hit the dirt and start twitching cause i'd make em look bad. Understand I wasnt making fun of the person doing the kata, it just wouldnt be very good according to my association's standards. Anyway along the line I used the words advanced white belt to describe myself. Because i said that, and the fact I won a gold medal with heian shodan, I'd be expected to do it well. (possibly the sensei's favoritism towards me might also play a part. Because you're either under scrutiny or they're linient towards you and more strict with someone else.) That's when the guy came in and said calling myself advanced white belt is silly because you dont even have to test for it and all white belts are the same. He also said gold medal doesnt make me 'advanced' white belt. all it means is that i got 1st place. That's when i said not all white belts are the same cause some know more stuff than a white belt who just joined and doesn't know any Shotokan.

Ok. That makes more sense now. I have to admit I'm guilty of judging people who post kata on youtube, too. Every school has different standards and different things they focus on, so it's natural to notice differences in those standards. When I watch Isshinryu kata, I notice bad stances more than anything else because my instructor is a stance fanatic while Isshinryu as a whole isn't that obsessed with stances. So I see these videos of Isshinryu black belts doing beginner's kata with horrible stances and I have to think "man, that guy wouldn't even make 9th kyu in my school with a stance like that". But I don't say it, mostly because I don't have the credentials to back it up. I'm just a white belt. If I did comment and people asked me where I get the authority to criticize other people, I'd have to admit I have no authority, and so I just don't say anything.