• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

cross training

I would ask your sensei. He might not want you to crosstrain in a similar art, but maybe he'd be okay with a grappling art like judo. These days, a lot of people are taking both striking arts and grappling arts.

This was the case at my school. I may be the exception to the rule because one of our black belts is a BJJ guy (he did that first). I've been training with this guy after our regular class and Sensi doesn't mind but I would NEVER use BJJ during the Karate class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ive been a karateka for about 2 years. Over the last few months I've become more and more interested in judo. I don't want to stop my karate training, but I want to take maybe 1 day or so out of the week for judo. I would still train in karate 3 days a week.

The problem lies in the fact that the school I attend is against it's students training at other schools/dojos. What would you do? this is written in the contract.

Other than that I love my sensei's and the karate school.

I say do what you want, who cares if your instructor doesn't like it, he is your instructor, your paying him to teach you "this" martial art. that is it. not your life coach.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Ive been a karateka for about 2 years. Over the last few months I've become more and more interested in judo. I don't want to stop my karate training, but I want to take maybe 1 day or so out of the week for judo. I would still train in karate 3 days a week.

The problem lies in the fact that the school I attend is against it's students training at other schools/dojos. What would you do? this is written in the contract.

Other than that I love my sensei's and the karate school.

I would be wary of any school that uses a contract especially so of one that says you can't train in another school. It can mean the instructor is a fraud and keeping away from other instructors/schools is the way of keeping you in the dark about it. This may not be the case with you but it can be. I would be concerned.

I say do what you want, who cares if your instructor doesn't like it, he is your instructor, your paying him to teach you "this" martial art. that is it. not your life coach.
I would be wary of any school that uses a contract especially so of one that says you can't train in another school. It can mean the instructor is a fraud and keeping away from other instructors/schools is the way of keeping you in the dark about it. This may not be the case with you but it can be. I would be concerned.

Personally, I think crosstraining should usually be allowed, but I can see why some instructors would be against it. Some people believe that training in multiple arts or styles at the same time can be confusing. Too much info. Sometimes conflicting. If one instructor taught you to handle a certain self defense situation one way, but the other taught you a different way, you might hesitate out in the real world.

There are a lot of instructors out there with a lot of different ideas about martial arts. Is kata important? Can you learn anything worthwhile from tournamens? How effective are head kicks? Do you throw a lot of techniques or wait for an opening for one big hit? Maybe the OP's sensei just wants to protect his students from all the "wrong" ideas. Maybe that's part of how he chooses to teach the martial art that the OP is "paying him to teach." Again, it's not the approach I'd take, but I get how people can feel that way.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com