• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

cross training

Ive been a karateka for about 2 years. Over the last few months I've become more and more interested in judo. I don't want to stop my karate training, but I want to take maybe 1 day or so out of the week for judo. I would still train in karate 3 days a week.

The problem lies in the fact that the school I attend is against it's students training at other schools/dojos. What would you do? this is written in the contract.

Other than that I love my sensei's and the karate school.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LOL.....my senseis couldnt hide their disgust at the fact i had cross trained in both kenpo karate and shotokan. One made a face at me like he was absolutely disgusted and said 'this (shotokan) is better!' and this despite the fact that our very own founder of shotokan had cross trained in several different styles and from this he created shotokan! some people are funny......

So naturally they were quite pleased when i told them I had quit kenpo back in november because i had chosen my martial art. :)

i didnt make a comeback like that about funakoshi because i did like shotokan better anyway. But I could have. considering there are obvious benefit to doing some cross training.

seems to be common.....the kenpo sensei didnt like it either that i was cross training. well each teacher wants you to stay with them anyway. Guess he really didnt like it that i quit his dojo to pursue a Shotokan life......

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Written in the contract? Like you'll get kicked out or something for cross training?

As long as you keep the two trainings separate I think you'd be fine. Judo and Karate aren't going to overlap a whole lot but they'll compliment each other. Just be sure to keep Judo stuff out of your Karate sessions and vice versa. The worst thing is where you get a student telling an instructor "that's wrong, in such and such a class we do it this way".

And Blade96 is right, the majority of styles practised today came around as a result of people cross training and then combining.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Ive been a karateka for about 2 years. Over the last few months I've become more and more interested in judo. I don't want to stop my karate training, but I want to take maybe 1 day or so out of the week for judo. I would still train in karate 3 days a week.

The problem lies in the fact that the school I attend is against it's students training at other schools/dojos. What would you do? this is written in the contract.

Of course its gonna be in the contract, they're afraid that you may start to like the other MA your training and drop your current one. Go Judo bro :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I don't know how this clause is worded, but it's likely not legally binding. You have the right of freedom of expression, and that would mean you can attend another martial arts school if that's what you want to do. Just because "the contract says so" does not mean it's legally binding if the clause is contrary to law.

Such a clause can backfire on the school, in that it may mean that if you do attend another school, then the contract is breached, so the worst that can happen is expulsion--without paying for remaining lessons that have not been taken. It wouldn't retain students but lose them if they cross-train.

My Soo Bahk Do teacher accepts training in another art, but requests the courtesy of being told about it. When I took self-defense JJ, it was on Saturdays, so no SBD lessons were missed. When I took Jeet Kune Do lessons, it was a late-night class during the week, meaning I missed no SBD time. That was her concern, that my main MA lessons, which are with her, wouldn't suffer.

This is the right way that students are motivated and retained.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

My Soo Bahk Do teacher accepts training in another art, but requests the courtesy of being told about it. .

cause its good to be honest. I was honest with both my Shotokan senseis and the kenpo sensei that i was cross training.

but I love and adore my shotokan senseis so much i wanted to be honest. :)

I havent been able to get down to the kenpo dojo, but he was my very first sensei before i joined shotokan. but i'm gonna visit him and let him know though I chose shotokan he's a very good sensei and I can see why his own students adore him. If someone was looking for a MA to try, I'd recommend that they try the kenpo school ( and then register for a life in Shotokan. Haha. Kidding! Me thinketh I am a little biased. =] It is entirely up to them what they might prefer and Shotokan isnt for everyone.)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Writing in the contract? :o

I'm no lawyer, but, the only thing binding in a contract is your payments to the school. Stop paying, well, the school will get your money one way or another in a court of law and if you still don't pay, then you risk destroying your credit.

As far as the contract saying you can't go to any other martial arts school except their's is far-fetched. I could go to any martial arts school I want to because my choice is protected by the Constituton.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cross training. If your Sensei has a problem with it, he/she must be insecure about something. Its not like you are training at two different Shotokan Dojos in the same city. Besides doing Judo with Shotokan makes sense. Neither overlap or butt heads on theories.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.