• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

passed my first color belt testing,...phew

So I passed my 1st color belt testing,... I am a TaeKwonDo student. I have been working very hard towards this. (those of you know who have read my other post) I've been in TKD since 11/16. Testing consisted of punching, with horse riding stance, foot to foot side kick, front snap kick and round house kick. also kicking and punching combination. Then we had to do our 20 step form followed by 2 kick non contact sparring. My main issue was endurance but i pushed through and for once my TKD master had nothing but nice things to say, he was floored! I have been putting countless hours in at the gym. Been going to MMA class and got some good workouts in. The teacher there used to own and operate the karate school locally and helped alot with my form and kicks.

I have a few questions, there is a young girl there that tested along side me on friday and was promoted to blue belt ( our belts are white, yellow, yellow with green stripe, green, green with blue stripe, blue, blue with red stripe, red, red with black stripe, red with double black stripe and black) she started in Junes of 09 i believe which is about a belt a month almost another guy who has done tkd before has been there over a year and just now testing for blue belt. her mom also works there,.. isn't that kinda fast for progressing I know everyone is different, and no i am not hating. but your thoughts on it.

also our school when you get to black belt there are different levels, like there were a few black belts testing for 1st dan level 3

but if anyone can give me tips on getting more flexible, and if there are any workouts that will get me stronger and will help me become a better tkd student please link me. I am so happy I finally moved up thanks for reading

TheRealAshland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations on your success, Ashland. :D I didn't know that you were supplementing your TKD training with MMA. Interesting--and a lot of hard work!

BTW, as for the young girl, don't even pause to think about the progress of others. What I like about karate--and the martial arts overall--is that you progress at your own pace and "compete" with yourself. :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

congrats Ashland :up:

I agree with Joe, don't worry about the rate that others are testing at. There could be any number of reasons why this girl is going faster.

If you want to get more flexible keep stretching and keep doing strength training. Also practice loads. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 7 months later...

i had a similar situation last year id just been given my red belt at shotokan and on the sunday night after grading we had a new student who came as a white belt but watching her in kata's etc she was really picking things up really quickly id made me feel like i was underperforming,whoever the next lesson she came with a 3rd dan black belt around her waist.things came to light when she was actually a 3rd dan and had recently moved to the area from another shotokan dojo and her gradings were honored by our sensei,made me feel slightly better about myself lol :karate: