• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed 2nd Kyu

Whoopie, another rank under my belt! We had evaluations/promotion testing this week, Tues and Wed night, and I can't believe how nervous I was! Last time, in October, I wasn't so nervous. Then I had just received 3rd kyu 3 months previously, and was totally not expecting to get promoted, so this freed me up to just perform my best (though I still did get nervous -- it can all seem so dreadfully important sometimes). Anyway, the funny thing was that afterwards the last time, sensei said she wanted to give me 2nd kyu then, because I had improved a lot, but had made a couple of little mistakes in my kata that she wanted me to fix. Fine, I wasn't expecting it anyway, and was just happy that she thought I was close. This time was different. Because she thought I was close last time, and I had fixed the mistakes she had mentioned last time, plus have been training like a demon and I think improved my speed, reaction time, overall fitness, and etc., I really wanted to get promoted this time. Well I did, and was happy about it, but jeesh, it sure is stressful. :x

If all goes well, I hope to make 1st kyu in a year or so, and then test for shodan-ho a year after that. I have to get through 4 more kobudo levels before I can test, and we only have black belt testing once a year in March, so it will be a while.

Oh, I know we're just supposed to do our best and not be concerned about rank, just take it as it comes, and blah blah blah. For some reason that whole thing reminds me of little kids at a birthday party. My little brother would tear open the envelope, then open the card, turn it upside down, and shake it to see if any checks or money fell out. Eventually he was socialized to open it calmly, and to read the sentiment with interest, and only then to casually notice that there had been a check enclosed. It always seemed more fun and real when he was younger. But I digress -- of course we like getting promoted, it's fun!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Whoopie, another rank under my belt! We had evaluations/promotion testing this week, Tues and Wed night, and I can't believe how nervous I was! Last time, in October, I wasn't so nervous. Then I had just received 3rd kyu 3 months previously, and was totally not expecting to get promoted, so this freed me up to just perform my best (though I still did get nervous -- it can all seem so dreadfully important sometimes). Anyway, the funny thing was that afterwards the last time, sensei said she wanted to give me 2nd kyu then, because I had improved a lot, but had made a couple of little mistakes in my kata that she wanted me to fix. Fine, I wasn't expecting it anyway, and was just happy that she thought I was close. This time was different. Because she thought I was close last time, and I had fixed the mistakes she had mentioned last time, plus have been training like a demon and I think improved my speed, reaction time, overall fitness, and etc., I really wanted to get promoted this time. Well I did, and was happy about it, but jeesh, it sure is stressful. :x

If all goes well, I hope to make 1st kyu in a year or so, and then test for shodan-ho a year after that. I have to get through 4 more kobudo levels before I can test, and we only have black belt testing once a year in March, so it will be a while.

Oh, I know we're just supposed to do our best and not be concerned about rank, just take it as it comes, and blah blah blah. For some reason that whole thing reminds me of little kids at a birthday party. My little brother would tear open the envelope, then open the card, turn it upside down, and shake it to see if any checks or money fell out. Eventually he was socialized to open it calmly, and to read the sentiment with interest, and only then to casually notice that there had been a check enclosed. It always seemed more fun and real when he was younger. But I digress -- of course we like getting promoted, it's fun!

wheeeee! congrats! :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.