• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Apple iPad Announced

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I won't be getting one since all it's main features are covered by my iPod Touch and iMac, but it does look like an excellent device and I might recommend it as a replacement to my mother when her 3G iBook eventually dies, though it's still going strong for the foreseeable future. Although a lot of hardcore apple fans and tech geeks I know don't seem to like it. I guess they just aren't the target market. This is aimed at the people who buy a laptop simply to email and websurf. If that was all I ever did (it's not) I would be after one of these now.

It looks amazing.

The only thing is, if you can get it to run office.

If it can do that then it will be of great use to me.

Otherwise I will stick with my iPhone

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

$499!!! :o

No, I don't think I'll be getting me one. It's pretty cool, but, I'm CHEAP!!!!! Besides, it would be just another electronic gizmo that I'd have to learn and wouldn't be able to because I'm just not wired that way.

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I don't know whether I like it or not. Can't really see who its meant to be for either. Its not like there's this huge void between smart phones and laptops that needs filling or at least I haven't been aware of it.

Actually from looking at the spec on the site, I'm not sure what it does that my current phone can't (not an iphone btw) other than having a lager screen.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Though it looks interesting, I also think it was a bit overhyped. There's a gap between what it was expected to be and what it actually is. I think it's definitely got promise and could become an amazingly useful gadget, but I think I'll be waiting until the 2nd or 3rd generation models come out before I buy one. It's a good start, but I'd like to see how they refine it and improve it before I consider buying one. First generation models also seem to be a bit buggy too, so I don't feel the need to be an early adopter, I'll let them work out the kinks first.

For the price of the iPad I could upgrade my current computer to a more high end model. :P Sure, I can't take it anywhere with me, but it does everything the iPad will be able to do and much, much more.

The only portable device I'd need is a Tmobile Sidekick LX. It has the best physical keyboard for texting. I'm a textaholic. =D

The iPad definitely isn't meant to compete with the desktop. Mobility is what the device is all about. I think I might be interested in a Windows equivalent somewhere down the road, depending on how they develop. I could see a device like it being what I buy when it comes time to buy a new laptop, especially when paired with an external keyboard.

Patrick

From what I read, Apple isn't gearing this toward nerds and is going for the casual person. In its promos, they show people relaxing with it on the couch. And I guess they didn't talk about its technical details as much as they did the practicality.

As a tech junkie, I won't be getting it because I enjoy my Macbook.

I wonder how this will affect a company like the New York Times, with its new Times Skimmer on their site. Apparently the journalism field is supposed to be salivating at this.

As part of a class assignment for my interactive design class, juniors had to tell the program director if they thought this would be a success or fail. If it's a success in a year, students who said it would fail would have to bring him something from Starbucks. If it's a fail, students who said it would fail can pick what they want and he'll deliver us our drink of choice anywhere on campus. I thought it was a fun bet so I told him I thought it would fail.

We'll see how this goes in a year.