• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In this video, the presenter refers to karate, but it's really about delivering a KO or TKO strike, and I think it's more likely to be the latter. The first minute isn't the best intro, but starting at 1:00, his explanation sounds feasible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTd-LYsv_uM&feature=related

The boxer Frankie Campbell died as a result of Max Baer's blows to his head, the autopsy revealing brain damage. The fight should have been stopped and a TKO declared when Campbell was on the ropes.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think his explanation is pretty much spot on and he raises a valid point about the majority of the damage occuring when the person hits the deck.

If you get KO'd during a sporting event then you generally land on canvas and have a ref there to stop you getting pummelled whilst you are out cold. The risk is reduced as far as possible and statistically deaths are very uncommon.

Out in the street, it is a different game altogether as you will often land on a hard surface such as concrete. There are endless news stories about people getting killed or ending up with brain damage following single punch KO's.

I personally have been KO'd twice. The first instance occured whilst sparring. I was out cold for a few seconds but came round quicky and suffered little side effects.

The second occasion followed an unprovoked assault with a knuckle duster. My head hit the pavement on the way down and I was out cold for 4 mins. I now have a reduced sense of smell as a result of the idiocy of a very cowardly individual but things could have been much worse in that I might not have actually "woken up".

KO's will always carry a degree of risk and I don't always feel comfortable with the way they are "glamorised", particulalry when there are idiots out there carry this mindset out onto our streets.