• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seeking clarification on Heian Nidan kata

Blade96

I've just started learning kata Heian Nidan (as I'm soon to move to 8th kyu status) so I learn this new kata that 8th kyu's learn. I know all of it except for the part after the spear hand strike and 4 shutos. In that part where you do uchi uke then kick-punch, is there 3 uchi ukes, one with the right arm, kick-punch, one with left arm, kick-punch, then right arm again before spinning around into gedan barai? I wasnt sure, and youtube doesnt give a great demonstration, because Kanazawa-sensei is doing it with his back to the watcher so we cant see what he does with his arms!

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Blade found a reverse angle in this clip:

Technique is a Morote Soto-uke.

Chitsu,

Ps - personally not fond of the penguin wing-esque gi slapping and "Oss-ing" at the begining - looks very silly and has no basis in budo authenticity.

look at the moon, not my finger.

[A] reverse angle in this clip:

I like this form, which is called Pyung Ahn E Dan in Soo Bahk Do. It had been a requirement for my teacher when she was in the gup levels, but it was recently moved by the Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan to dan level. I asked her why, and it was because certain forms ("Chil Sung"--"Seven Star") created by the founder, Grandmaster Hwang Kee, are to be given special emphasis in the gup levels, so this is one of the changes that was made.

She did teach it to me even though I'm at gup level, and I practiced it tonight before class in a free area of the dojang so as not to forget it. It's funny how Blade happened to ask about it on the same night. To me, thinking applications, the return that was asked about is the best part of the form.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

what a pocketful of fly. That's awesome you found that video. Thanks. It does help a lot. :)

and Haha, joesteph, that really is funny ask about this kata the same night you go over it. lol.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 1 month later...

By the way. Even if you know the pattern, where to turn, what movements to make, and what strikes to do in a Kata, you still, DO NOT KNOW THE KATA. YOU WILL NEVER TRULY KNOW A KATA. Practice enough and maybe you will, might at least understand a Kata.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

By the way. Even if you know the pattern, where to turn, what movements to make, and what strikes to do in a Kata, you still, DO NOT KNOW THE KATA. YOU WILL NEVER TRULY KNOW A KATA. Practice enough and maybe you will, might at least understand a Kata.

Well that's a pretty bummer way to say it...

I prefer to say that the ultimate truth in Karate is not perfection of technique, but the non-stop effort to achieve it :D

And I disagree with you Jake, you can know a kata and understand it.

Well that's a pretty bummer way to say it...

I prefer to say that the ultimate truth in Karate is not perfection of technique, but the non-stop effort to achieve it :D

And I disagree with you Jake, you can know a kata and understand it.

What he said.

There is no such thing as a perfect kata... we will always make mistakes. it does not mean that we lack the knowledge of what is a perfect kata and strive every day to achieve it.

Way of Japan Karate Do

Bakersfield, Ca. USA

You see, when I think of understanding a kata, I don't even consider technique. Perfecting the technique of the kata is the most basic thing you can do with it. To me, really knowing and understanding a kata means knowing and perfecting multiple bunkai for every single move in it. What's the point of kata if you can't apply what you practice in the kata?