• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Benefits of the Turning "Corkscrew" Punch

Lupin1

In jissen kumite, the vertical fist comes in handy if your opponent has a tight guard and you want to sneak in a punch. Rather than throw the typical shita tsuki for example, where it turns under so the palm is facing up, I'll use a vertical fist to sneak in between his forearms and give him a good whack. Other than say maybe for hooks though, I don't really use it too much otherwise.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
.... but the Isshinryu punch is faster and so harder to block in the first place. You can get about three Isshinryu punches into the time space of one corckscrew punch, so if they block the first one, you just go in with a second one and if they block that, the first hand is already recoiled (since it's a snap punch) and you can go in with that again.

Ummm, I don't think so. I'm very familiar with the "Issinryu punch", as we've been doing that same punch for about 200+ years now in our kata and in our techniques. We just do use it as exclusively as Issinryu does. As for it being faster...not a chance. Each punch is used for a different situation and application. I wouldn't say either is faster, just different.

Plus there's the fact that people from most other styles have never seen or fought against Isshinryu punches before, so it surprises them the first few times like "woah, where the heck did that come from".

I've fought against them, and frankly, there was little or no difference in sparring them than most other similar systems. The punch made no difference what so ever IMO. I think you're listening to to much propoganda.

This is in no way meant to be derogatory, as given the opportunity, I wouldn't mind cross training in Issinryu myself...which with 35 years in my own system, is meant as a compliment. There aren't many systems that I would consider cross training in. Two actually, now thaat I think of it...the other being Aikido.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

After many years of boxing, I never questioned it. I will say that turning the punch over or "corkscrew" does in fact give more power. What you are doing is creating a snap at the end, almost like a whip.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

There are not really any.

If you fire the punch straight the fist has angular momentum upon impact not forwards momentum.

If you are turning and then turning over your fist then there may be some benefit but it will be minimal.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

In the end, what's most important is matching the weapon to the target and the situation. If that means that it needs to be vertical, have at it. If it means rotate it, have at it.

Contact with good energy transfer is more important than stylistic interpertaions.

Physics tells us that there are three types of energy:

Kinetic

Potential and

Rotational

The corkscrew effect in the punch is where the third type of energy is realised.

In application of course this process does not have to be a punch - but oi-zuki is as good a way as any to introduce it.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

This is purely my opinion and it is this. I don't personally see any added benefit of a "corkscrew punch" because the extra amount of 'travel' and/or 'torque' and/or the like, just doesn't seem of any beneficial to a zuki/tsuki.

I've experimented with the "corkscrew punch" and I've concluded, for my own reasons, that this particular zuki isn't anymore powerful than a "traditional" zuki/tsuki. In my research of the "corkscrew punch" I've found that what can be accomplished by a "corkscrew punch" can be achieved by a simple tate-zuki, vertical fist punch, but, with more penetration as well as more power and damage to the target.

Is my research a difinitive finding? No! It's of and for my own! What works for one, doesn't always work for another! The "corkscrew punch" worked for Kid McCoy, but, it certainly didn't work for me because for me; it's an unnecessary added motion, especially when more can be delivered, imho, by tate-zuki.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!