• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu Front Stance

Lupin1

Actually, though-- I think it would be interesting to discuss stances. A few weeks ago when I was just restarting I was adopting a stance which I think is more common in other styles-- I had my front leg out pretty far with my back foot at an angle and more of my weight on my back foot. It felt like a very solid stance. But then I was given a reminder lesson on the Isshinryu front stance, with feet shoulder-width apart and the back toe in line with the front heel, both feet pointing straight foward and most of the weight on the front leg, which is bent at the knee so you can't see your toes. It just doesn't seem like a very stable stance at all. I wonder what the more experienced karateka think of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Actually, though-- I think it would be interesting to discuss stances. A few weeks ago when I was just restarting I was adopting a stance which I think is more common in other styles-- I had my front leg out pretty far with my back foot at an angle and more of my weight on my back foot. It felt like a very solid stance. But then I was given a reminder lesson on the Isshinryu front stance, with feet shoulder-width apart and the back toe in line with the front heel, both feet pointing straight foward and most of the weight on the front leg, which is bent at the knee so you can't see your toes. It just doesn't seem like a very stable stance at all. I wonder what the more experienced karateka think of it.

Hello Lupin1,

By the sounds of it, your instructor corrected your stance from a back stance (where as you say most of your weight is on the back foot) to a front stance - with front knee over toe and rear leg straight(ish)?

Most traditional styles practice their "ido kihon-zuki" (basic stepping punch) ending with in a front stance or "zenkutsu-dachi" as you describe.

The purpose is to engender correct transfer of weight and timing as you step and punch. It also strengthens the core and leg muscles.

Not to be confused with a fighting stance of course – different horses for different courses.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Actually if the stance is done right your weight should be even on both feet. If you can shift your weight correctly you shouldnt telegraph what you are doing.

Pretty much the basic stance of it is shoulder width, both knees bent just slightly to where if you looked down at the front leg you should not see your toes. Hips locked. Now from the description I beleive this is the stance you are describing.

After many years, I will admit to picking up bad habits on my stances and have been looking back into them.

Even out the weight of the stance. Be balanced on both feet. The stance is a lot more stable than you may think. I sometimes use it to keep my ground in a randori. Are you a beginner? If so, you'll get used to it eventually.

I'm not entirely a beginner. I studied Isshinryu for 5 years when I was younger, but I haven't done it for 8 years and I'm just starting to get back into it, so I guess I'm an experienced beginner. It's already starting to feel a lot more natural after only a little over a month, so that's good.