• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back in

WuChildNZ

Hey I have been of karate for 2 years now after a solid year of practicing it, and Im looking to get back into after watching Ip-Man and Fearless again. Fearless was the one which inspired me to take up a Martial Art no matter what other people think about it. I have always somewhat however struggled with my kicks. i can always kick up to the waistline and sometimes if I try i can reach the upper torso. What are your tips and suggestionabout getting better with kicks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You're learning kicks that high in Goju-ryu? I always thought most Okinawan styles concentrated the vast majority of their kicks to the stomach or lower and at very close range.

You're learning kicks that high in Goju-ryu? I always thought most Okinawan styles concentrated the vast majority of their kicks to the stomach or lower and at very close range.

Lupin1,

You're absolutely correct about what you said about Okinawan practitioners kicking stomach or lower at very close range. I believe that WuChildNZ is saying that he CAN kick high if he wants to. I'm in an Okinawan style and we only kick stomach and lower, but, I can kick high if I want to, yet, I'd rather not.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Though I would likely use minimal kicks in a real fight, for me, the idea of training to kick high, is so that the ability to kick at, say, stomach level is much easier were I to use them in a real life situation. If I can push myself to kick at head height when training, then if I'm that much better prepared to perform a lower kick without it seeming terribly difficult.

As for kicking higher, proper foot orientation of the grounded foot, improved balance and stretching are keys to getting higher kicks. So basically stretch, strech, and stretch. Then pay attention to technique/form. For example, if you're doing something such as a roundhouse or side kick, make sure your heel is pointed towards your target (toes pointed away), make sure your hips are turned properly, and lean your torso back. Body mechanics will go a long ways towards getting higher kicks.