• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Home Gym

dangerous365

No, those aren't the kind I refer to. Mine are about a foot long each and I use them in pairs. One high, one low. And when used in the approprite fashion can be used for far more than just correct form.

With the right set of drills, they are excellent, in this configuration, for developing reciprocating and/or folding strikes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
No, those aren't the kind I refer to. Mine are about a foot long each and I use them in pairs. One high, one low. And when used in the approprite fashion can be used for far more than just correct form.

With the right set of drills, they are excellent, in this configuration, for developing reciprocating and/or folding strikes.

Ahh, but isn't reciprocation part of correct boimechanics?

Eitherway, traditional Maki training is about conditioning the whole body - NOT just getting calluses on the fist.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that's what they were for. In fact, in another thread I was one of the guys arguing against the whole concept.

As for the classification, I think the connitations were clear enough. I was speaking for more of technical/ skill concept of training. Still, whatever you want to call it is fine.

I've used them before, I don't have one. Maybe not the specific model you reference, but the style of bag.

I like them, they are great for kicking and function just as well as a regular bag for the rest of your work. You'll find that they are heavy and don't swing much. A realy bonus as far as working heavy kick combos go.

I'd seriously think about replacing my heavy bag with one if it ever wears out.

tomcat- the idea of folding or reciprocating strikes use just that, a folding motion to be delivered without the limb being used returning to your normal posture. They rely on body mechanics for power and sometimes sensitive target area foreffect.

An example would be a jab going out to strike, rather than come back, the hand cuts back and the strike allows and elbow to "fold" over to contact. The body moveson in with this strike. The elbow might then "unfold" into a backfist of one angle or another. Again, the body does a short arc at thehips for power. To stay with the same limb, after the backfist you might again drop weight and let the elbow "fold" down to a vertical elbow to the body. The arm might then explode up (straighten) , driven by the body, and eye gouge to drive his head backwards.

That's a lead hand example. Now, you can work in grabs with the other hand, strikes with the other hand or complete series with the other hand as well.

It's a good way to make someone cover up while you work your game forward. Again, just an example, there's lots of ways to put them together. The idea is to keep the striking and grabbing and such fluid so one flows into the next.

With the nature of the strikes and the need to get percise weight drop and hip action, the dual maki's are really good for training them.