• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Are the Official Katas of Shotokan?

BreathingHands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Below are the 26 basic kata recognized commonly in Shotokan. I have also listed what kata you need to know to pass each of the below ranks in my dojo (Please keep in mind that this order varies a lot from dojo to dojo, especially when it comes to testing for 3rd kyu and higher):

Heian shodan (平安初段) - need to know for 8th kyu test (yellow belt)

Heian nidan (平安二段) - ntk for 7th kyu (orange belt)

Heian sandan (平安三段) -6th kyu (green belt)

Heian yondan (平安四段) - 5th kyu (purple 1)

Heian godan (平安五段) - 4th kyu (purple 2)

Tekki shodan (鉄騎初段) - 3rd kyu (Brown 1)

Bassai dai (披塞大)* - 2nd kyu (Brown 2) & 1st kyu (Brown 3)

Jion (慈恩)

Empi (燕飛)

Kanku dai (観空大)

Tekki nidan (鉄騎二段)

Hangetsu (半月)

Jitte (some call it "Jutte") (十手)

Gankaku (岩鶴)

Tekki sandan (鉄騎三段)

Nijūshiho (二十四步)

Chinte (珍手)

Sōchin (壯鎭)

Meikyō (明鏡)

Unsu (雲手)

Bassai shō (披塞小)

Kankū shō (観空小)

Wankan (王冠)

Gojūshiho shō (五十四歩小)

Gojūshiho dai (五十四歩大)

Ji'in (慈陰)

- blue = the Heian katas (you perform one per test as listed above)

- blue + green = katas you have to know to test for shodan (1st black belt) (you choose one, and a second is chosen at random)

- blue + green + purple = katas you have to know to test for nidan (2nd black belt) (one is your choice, a second is chosen at random)

- Any kata may be called during a test for sandan (3rd black) or above (one is your choice, a second is chosen at random)

*note: many people choose one the four other sentei kata (instead of bassai dai) to test for 3rd kyu to shodan.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Heian shodan - need to know for 8th kyu test (yellow belt)

yeah thats what i gotta do for my 8th kyu test in a few weeks

and your description is pretty much how it works at my dojo, with the exception that we dont have purple belts or brown 1 and brown 2. we have just brown belt snd oh. we have blue belts too.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I've got a question. As the title of this thread asks..."What are the OFFICIAL KATA'S OF SHOTOKAN?", what/whom is the "OFFICIAL" governing body of Shotokan? Is it the JKA? Is it the SKIF? Is it the WKSF? Is it the JKS? Is it the JSKA? Is it the ISKF? Is it the TSKF? OR...?

I'm just asking? I don't know because I'm not Shotokan!

Even under the umbrella of one of the many Shotokan Hombu's around the world; nothing can guarantee that the individual Dojo's will not vary/alter their own Hombu's official kata list for kyu/dan ranks. Unless their Hombu won't certify said ranks as an encouragement to remain strict in following their Hombu's official kata list for promotions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I guess they are all "Official Governing Bodies".

As for authenticity, well that’s a different question. Arguably Shotokai is closer to what Funakoshi practiced.

I think as far as "originality" is concerned, I believe the JKA was the first "Major" organisation set up to oversee the learning of Shotokan.

All of the other groups have disseminated from the JKA in some shape or form.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.