• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting stance

The Fighting Stance is Mainly used to throw punches in a stand up fighting situation like in Boxing.

This is an Offensive stance meaning it is combat and attack oriented

Used for quick movements and mobility in all directions

Adapts the element of Fire - Mentally you become aggressive and use quickness and speed

Applications:

Stand up fighting

Quick fast movements (feet are closer together)

Adapts the mentality of speed and aggression

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you are underestimating the exact purpose of stance training, and it is furthermore not clear what stance you refer to. Certainly -my- feet are not closer together, because I need structure and mobility; I don't use it to change my 'mentality'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Stance discussions are always interesting. Maybe some more specifics on what you're calling a fighting stance would be helpful. It probably differs from what I call a fighting stance vs. Justice Zero', ect.

Give us soem more detail and we'll hash it out.

Personally I don't like the idea of having a specific "fighting stance". Of course when you fight or spar you're going to favour certain positions but I think sometimes fighting from a particular stance is very restrictive...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Personally I don't like the idea of having a specific "fighting stance". Of course when you fight or spar you're going to favour certain positions but I think sometimes fighting from a particular stance is very restrictive...

Very True. However I know that the fighting stance is usually optimum in terms of defense and readiness. Once a technique is executed you should immediately return to the fighting stance. This does not mean that you cannot adapt it. In JKD we tend to open up the stance once we get into in fighting whereas at long range we are very closed and mobile.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

As a general rule, having a good stance and footwork is vitally connected to how well one does in a fight. Bad stances and footwork lead to improper balance and loss of power in techniques. However, as was mentioned what stance are you exactly referring to. Sometimes people know stances by different names, even though they may be the same thing, just depending on the style they come from.

For example, my school's fighting stance is basically where you face your body towards your opponent, feet roughly shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent with one foot further back than the other with the heel of that foot slightly off the ground. Hopefully I described that clearly enough to get a mental image of what exactly I mean.

alenero wrote:

Why don't you try naming the stances and say their disadvantages and advantages ?

I don't know what you mean. In our style, fighting stance is a distinct stance, just like zenkutsu dachi or shico dachi means a specific thing. Our fighting stance is pretty much how KarateGeorge describes the fighting stance in his style. It does vary a bit depending on the sparring match, but mostly I think the variety comes from rhythm and timing more than changing up the stance. Not that I'm a sparring expert, but it seems to me that if you change the leading leg using unpredictable timing and distancing, you are getting a lot of variation even with the basic form of the stance staying the same. I think of it as the more beginning students sparring with a "pop" music rhythm, predictable, whereas a good fighter spars with the timing of a jazz musician.

alenero wrote:
Why don't you try naming the stances and say their disadvantages and advantages ?

I don't know what you mean. In our style, fighting stance is a distinct stance, just like zenkutsu dachi or shico dachi means a specific thing. Our fighting stance is pretty much how KarateGeorge describes the fighting stance in his style. It does vary a bit depending on the sparring match, but mostly I think the variety comes from rhythm and timing more than changing up the stance. Not that I'm a sparring expert, but it seems to me that if you change the leading leg using unpredictable timing and distancing, you are getting a lot of variation even with the basic form of the stance staying the same. I think of it as the more beginning students sparring with a "pop" music rhythm, predictable, whereas a good fighter spars with the timing of a jazz musician.

I refer to that as fighting "on the beat" or "off the beat"...that's kind of my own terminology though, so I highly doubt that's official lingo. :)

When working with a beginning student on sparring, a lot of times they'll fight at a predictable rhythm, as people get to be better fighters, they'll use a non-predictable rhythm, changing both the speed of techniques as well as the pattern of striking locations to keep their opponent guessing.