• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will be ever see the Gee worn in UFC again?

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, it would still be allowed. Has it been universally abandoned by the athletes forever?

They are not allowed. So no, you will never see them again.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It's likely that you'll never see it again in mainstream MMA promotions, no- but if you want to see fighting under an MMA-like ruleset with gis worn, look for some variants of full-contact sport jujutsu.

The level of competition isn't very high, but it is there if that's what you're looking for.

Those forms of ju jitsu competitions are popular in Europe, so Ive heard.

Fun to watch, as people get a chance to attempt to use the other facets of their game, but yes, low level jiu jitsu

• 4 weeks later...

As has been mentioned, the gi is now illegal in UFC, but it was legal in PRIDE and was worn by some fighters, especially judoka like Hidehiko Yoshida. I would guess it's legal in DREAM as well.

The gi can be used to the advantage of the fighter wearing it when the other is not because the extra friction makes it harder to escape submissions, pummel for underhooks, escape from side control or mount, or posture up and disengage a tight guard.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Minor advantages, I must say. Sakuraba vs Gracie was a clinic of why NOT to wear a gi in MMA anymore.

Works well against unskilled grapplers, but against a good groundfighter, you're just making things much harder on yourself

• 1 month later...

I would love to go up against somebody wearing a single weave gi. Much easier to grip. Although Im pretty sure gis are not allowed, shoes are not allowed, nor are t-shirts in many sanctioned events.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

Forbidding a gi and the like in the UFC as well as in other MMA leagues eliminates excuses about a loss. Mano e mano!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The answer seems fairly obvious ... no. To mirror MMA Jim's statement, you are at a tactical disadvantage wearing a gi. I just started grappling a few weeks ago and I''m ready to abandon my gi pants, belt, t-shirt outfit in favor of shorts and tight-fitting athletic style short. I'd go shirtless but no one else is.

The gi offers to many places for your opponent to grab. I can't count the number of times I wasn't able to transition from a side mount to a full mount because someone had a good grip on my belt.

I suspect that banning the gi was a good way to keep a level playing field. Some people probably abandoned their gi the second they realized that they were at a disadvantage. Others may have refused to abandon the gi due to feeling of disrespecting their art... just my opinion.

If you've just started BJJ don't be do quick to aboandon the gi just yet. It slows the game down, makes your technique much tighter, and lets you work things that you'll never be exposed to if you train no-gi all the time.

I started training no-gi and have found that alot of improvements in my game can be traced back to putting the gi on.

I know, there's the argument that it's not worn outside of the school. Valid. However, here in Illinois, we wear coats or jackets maybe 5 months out of the year. There's some cross over there.

However, the big thing is slowing the game down. It will help you break it apart and rely on technique rather than athleticisim alone.