• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Karate Kid Movie, Your Views

Slayer2004

Hi

I was wondering what the views of everyone are regarduing the soon to be released Karate Kid movie starring Jackie Chan and Jadan Smith.

I admit when I heard that a remake was happening I was very happy at the prospect of Karate being given a modern boost while a lot of other martial arts have had a boost in interest from recent hollywood movies but when I heard that Jackie Chan would be taking the role similar to that of Mr Myagi I had to pause...isnt Jackie Chan Chinese???

This promptly put me into investigation mode and I found more about it and that the whole movie is set in China.

Now the trailer is available to view online and I have watched it and from what I can see let alone the information on the film it is all based around Kung Fu.

So my opinion is that Sony pictures have seriously screwed up. I have a lot of respect for other martial arts and feel by creating this film they insult both Karate and Kung Fu for being completely inaccurate.

What about every one else, what is yhour opinion?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm interested in seeing it and giving it a chance. A remake that's very much like the original risks being panned with repeated comparisons.

I remember when "The Odd Couple," a show that was a classic that had two white men as leads, was brought back with two black men as the leads. But it was a remake of each episode, like a reshoot with different actors who happened to be of different races from the originals. It didn't last, and I wonder what would have happened if a new (fresh?) series of episodes had been filmed.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hey all,

As WireFrame mentioned, there is another recent thread on this topic, so I will go ahead and close this one and redirect you over there.

http://www.karateforums.com/karate-kid-trailer-out-vt37775.html

Thanks,

Patrick