• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://217.79.182.227/intranet.ijf.org/ijf_video.php?show=20&size=medium

what it is saying is you pretty much cant grab below the waist anymore in tourneys, so no double leg or single leg? yikes... me personally, im just ready to quit and go full BJJ..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think (empahsis on think) what they are doing is trying to preserve the sport a unique identity. They want to keep if from starting to look like wrestling, BJJ, no gi, ect.

With the big influx of mma themes and ideas, there is alot of blurring of different arts, espicially grappling ones. I think they just want judo to look like judo in competition.

I'm not saying this the the best way to make it effective or integrate it into a comprehensive defensive plan. It's just a way to keep the art seperate from all others, at least in competitive arenas.

I can understand it from a sport aspect. Schools will likely go on teaching all the tactics anyway from an art perspective.

I think (empahsis on think) what they are doing is trying to preserve the sport a unique identity. They want to keep if from starting to look like wrestling, BJJ, no gi, ect.

With the big influx of mma themes and ideas, there is alot of blurring of different arts, espicially grappling ones. I think they just want judo to look like judo in competition.

I'm not saying this the the best way to make it effective or integrate it into a comprehensive defensive plan. It's just a way to keep the art seperate from all others, at least in competitive arenas.

I can understand it from a sport aspect. Schools will likely go on teaching all the tactics anyway from an art perspective.

good post, my thoughts exactly.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 2 weeks later...
From what I'm instructed you can still do the morote gari and kata gurumas but the can't be the first attack. It can be used as a follow attack like shoulder throw into kata guruma.

see that's what I was thinking too, I didn't think a follow attack would be a problem, I just cant see taking them out of tourneys all together?? Good Post :up:

From what I'm instructed you can still do the morote gari and kata gurumas but the can't be the first attack. It can be used as a follow attack like shoulder throw into kata guruma.

see that's what I was thinking too, I didn't think a follow attack would be a problem, I just cant see taking them out of tourneys all together?? Good Post :up:

The problem is that the first infraction results in hansoku-make, automatic disqualification...so unless you trust the referee to be completely infalliable- to recognize that your leg takedown was, in fact, part of a combination the first time, every time- you're putting yourself at unacceptable risk of being DQed just by attempting a leg throw. No high-level competitor would take such a risk. It's a way to ban the techniques without banning them.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this sport already exists. It's called Greko Roman Wrestling!!!!

This is a mistake on the part of Judo (Olympic). They're really losing focus on what made the art great.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The judo community seems to be genuinely split on the rule, and it's a weird split. There aren't many people in the middle ground- there are people who absolutely cannot understand why the IJF would make a technique that's in Kano's kata and isn't a safety issue a first-offense hansoku-make, and people who can't comprehend what the fuss is about and think the first group are carrying on about nothing. Some low-level tournaments have refused to implement the new rules.