• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your club/organization use dan bars on black belts

Ti

In Shindokan, we use "dan bars" as rank identifiers.

Our Renshi, Kyoshi, and Hanshi holders will drop the rank identifiers and do the following:

Renshi = 1 gold bar on both ends

Kyoshi = 2 gold bars on both ends

Hanshi = 3 gold bars on both ends

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned this before in another similar thread here at KF, and that is this.

Anybody in the ATA please correct me if I'm wrong on the following....

I like what the ATA does for their black belts....ROMAN NUMERALS for 1st - 4th degree, and after that, A STAR/STARS (1 star = 5th degree, 2 stars = 6th degree...5 stars = 9th degree)

It's simple and it doesn't crowd the belt!

There aren't really any rules about belt stripes in the system I study, except not to over do the "decorations" of your gi/belt...such as tons of patches and such. We keep it pretty simple. I have 4 stripes on one end of my belt.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

No bars or stripes. At 7th Dan a Red and White Panel belt may be worn, and at 9th Dan a Red Belt may be worn. (See image. Left, a 6th Dan (now a 7th), Center a 10th, and right an 8th)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/MA%20Misc/Training15.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I like what the ATA does for their black belts....ROMAN NUMERALS for 1st - 4th degree, and after that, A STAR/STARS (1 star = 5th degree, 2 stars = 6th degree...5 stars = 9th degree)

Surely 5 stars takes up more room than IX?

We use roman numerals for ours.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We don't bother with tabs or stripes after Dan grade, it's all one black belt from there onwards. I kind of prefer it. It looks neater, and everyone at that end of the room knows each other and who is which number dan for line-up position anyway. It seems more unifying to me. Different belts are a western invention as most people know, but I generally don't think they're needed at that level.

Although when I get my dan grade I wouldn't be averse to putting a little japanese text on the end. Probably in red. We can pretty much do what we like I think in that regard.

Different belts are a western invention as most people know, but I generally don't think they're needed at that level.

The Red/White and Red Belts for the final Dan ranks comes to us from Judo, IIRC

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Surely 5 stars takes up more room than IX?

We use roman numerals for ours.

Yeah, you're right, but, it's different/unique. The stars aren't that big, still, you're right.