• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to Tie Your Karate Belts

Learning how to tie a karate belt is one of the very first things that all students learn, and it is important that the belt sits above the hip bones and tied firmly so that it will not come undone. The ends of the belt should always be of equal length, and both ends of the belt should exit the knot downwards.

You should never let the belt cross itself at the back, mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because it is not that comfortable and can get in the way during karate practice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was younger they taught us to tie it so that it crossed over in the back. Not sure why. I guess it's easier for kids to learn to tie it that way (I just recently learned how to tie it so it doesn't cross over and it took me awhile to get it right). There are a few black belts in the adult class who still tie it so it crosses over in back.

I do it the first way, but I don't start on the right-hand side. Because I have stripes on my belt, and the stripes (in my art) are expected to be shown on the left-hand side, that's where I start it.

When I get my boys ready for our classes together, I tie their belts the first way, which doesn't cross in the back. When I take my adult classes, there's a kids' class before mine. If a child's belt has come off, our teacher will put it on quickly with the second way, which crosses in the back. It's faster and easier.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hmm.. I think we are splitting hairs here. It depends how you define "crossing" in the back. In either case, there are two layers of belt back there! I've been tying belts for years and have always used the second way (on the video), and it works for me. However, I reach aroundf in back and consoldate the two layers so they are flat. But anyway, I suppose it's not that important as long as your belt stays on. :) Thanks for the video, Kuma.