• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Years M.A. Goals

Happy New Years! What are your goals for 2010 in the arts? Maybe its to win a competition or to reach a certain rank. Whatever it is, please share it and check in periodically to fill us in on your progress.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering I just restarted karate a week and a half ago and have only been to two classes (we're closed for the holidays until next Tuesday), I guess my goal will be to still be with it at the end of the year. It'd also be nice to try to make it to blue belt. I think that's realistic-- get back up to yellow (which is the fourth belt at my school) and move up one more. Shouldn't be too bad for a year. But if I don't get there, no big deal. The main thing is that I stick with it.

Edited by Lupin1

Earn my first degree

Earn my first Capoeira cord

Earn a Judo yellow belt

Finish the martial arts move I made last year

Make another martial arts movie

Finish writing the martial arts books I started

Publish a martial arts book

Learn a back handspring

Learn both tricking and traditional 540 kicks

Ten vertical push ups

Balance strength between left and right arms

Be able to get through a full Capoeira class with forty pounds strapped to my body

I have two main goals for this coming year in martial arts:

Start learning a new art, most likely Aikido, but I'm still doing research on local schools to decide where I want to train.

Test for my Ni Dan rank in Shuri-te Karate....I'm currently on target to meet my time requirements by this summer, so if everything else is in order and my Sensei says I'm ready, I'll hopefully be testing later this coming year.

When I tested for my 1st degree I made eight goals to achieve before my 2nd (which I will test for in September of 2011).

The goals have VERY SPECIFIC parts/segments. But for the purposes of this thread I will just write the general goals.

Goal 1 - Kicks: Increase my speed, balance, and technique in all of my kicks.

Goal 2 - Weapons: Perform all block & strike forms 50x each (they are around 8-10 moves per form). Be able to perform my weapon manipulations 20-30x in a row. Learn 10 new nunchaku techniques.

Goal 3 - Sparring Combinations: Understand what the attacker and defender are doing in the combinations. Create my own combinations that utilize the principles of the style. Practice each combination 50x. And master 5 combinations by practicing them 200x.

Goal 4 - Board Breaking: Perform specific hand and foot breaks (I have a specific goal of # of boards for each technique).

Goal 5 - Bunkai: Discover 4 to 6 bunkai for each of the 21 forms learned to 2nd degree. These can be learned from books, movies, and the internet besides my own brain.

Goal 6 - Jump Kicks: Perform each jump kick 240x (160 on the left and 80 on the right). Be able to perform multiple jump kicks in a row without stopping.

Goal 7 - Basics & Forms: Get critiqued on all forms and basics during private lessons. Perform all basics 100x and all forms 100x.

Goal 8 - Self Defense: Work with at least 3 different instructors on all of the grab escapes and knife defenses for greater understanding.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Simple, to continue to train and improve. I will practice techniques and learn kata. Everything should fall into place after that. Including rank and more importantly skill. Also I will help some progress as well. He who waters, waters himself! As far as rank goes I hope to be a 1st kyu by the end of the year.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!