• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructors having favorite students

If it turns out to be true I guessyou'll be feeding me crow as well since I disbelieve the lot of you here haha, eh, Sensei Bob? :P

Speaking for myself...I'd never do that to you....ever!! More than anything I pray that I'm completely wrong on my thoughts on this topic. I only support you and any decision(s) that you've made!!

I just want to offer an ear and a shoulder to you for when it's needed!

:)

That's really really, awesome, Bob-sensei! and I verymuch thank you for that! :)

Or to use a phrase I made up - a pocketful of fly. =]

Its awesome that I seemto have friends and allies on this forum! it warms myheart. LIke in my dojo, I feel I belong to a family here. :)

Anytime! I meant everything....they weren't idle words. I love your phrase...a pocketful of fly.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it turns out to be true I guessyou'll be feeding me crow as well since I disbelieve the lot of you here haha, eh, Sensei Bob? :P

Speaking for myself...I'd never do that to you....ever!! More than anything I pray that I'm completely wrong on my thoughts on this topic. I only support you and any decision(s) that you've made!!

I just want to offer an ear and a shoulder to you for when it's needed!

That's really really, awesome, Bob-sensei! and I verymuch thank you for that! :)

Or to use a phrase I made up - a pocketful of fly. =]

Its awesome that I seemto have friends and allies on this forum! it warms myheart. LIke in my dojo, I feel I belong to a family here. :)

Anytime! I meant everything....they weren't idle words. I love your phrase...a pocketful of fly.

Hehe......thanks. :)

and i very appreciate the support.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Ok so i had shotokan tonight, and when class was over, I said to my sensei,

You told my 'rents at the competition that I am one of your favorite students. I know you meant what you said, and you werent just saying it to a 'white belt' to 'build confidence' I know that for a fact. That said, I am a 4 month white belt. what do you see in a 4 month white belt, that you would pick me as one of your faves?

He replied 'its a secret between me and god' (he's funny. Which is why we get along so well. we both have this fun mischievious personality. )

I said tell me please'

and he replied 'You're not like the other white belts. You learn things so fast and you're a natural. You learn extremely fast and you fit in so well at the dojo. and you learn the techniques and movements and katas so fast its all just so natural for you. while for the others its not quite as natural' He gave Heian Nidan, which we were introduced to tonight, as an example. "You did the movements so perfectly near the first time, while the black belt helping us had to go back and correct the others' and i did get the highest marks at competition for my Heian Shodan.

He is physically affectionate because that's just his way, especially with his 'pets' his favorite students. He treats me different because I am his favorite white belt. But.....thats the reasons he gave for choosing me.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Wow. My instructor would NEVER tell us we were near perfect with a movement, especially not the first time. He won't even tell black belts they're near perfect with the very beginning kata. He's been telling me constantly that I have the basics of the three kata I know down and that it's very impressive for just five classes, but he still says I'll always have a lot to work on and he says that to everyone-- "very good, but you can fix this" or work on that or make the whole thing sharper or harder or faster. I've never heard "near perfect" from him when talking to anyone.

To tell you the truth, I still think it's the fact that you share that "mischievous personality" with him that makes him like you. I'm the same way and when I share that with a teacher, we just bond like crazy. One of my college professors even "adopted me" because we shared that personality and I even went down to Virginia (13 hours away) to visit him and his family a few months ago and him and his wife are trying to convince me to move down there. They even said I could live with them while I got settled. Even though he says it's because you're a fast learner, my guess is it's the personality that makes him really bond with you and not just that you catch on quickly.

yep we do have a similar personality, to tell truth, I think my sensei has 'adopted' me too. :)

its also true i learn fast though. I learned Heian Shodan before any of the other white belts and since I have learned basic moves already because of being a advanced white belt I'm finding Heian Nidan easier to learn even though its got 26 moves while heian shodan has 21. In any event, the black belt still spent more time on my fellow white belts cause they werent doing it properly and hardly time on me. and I think thats what my sensei was getting at when he said that.

in my school, favorite students are the ones that get hit and flipped like the example on how to do something, i hope i am never his favorite

I was! It was an honor! Also, what better way to understand, appreciate, and believe in any technique then by being on the receiving end by one's own Sensei? Baptized by fire in this case! I loved it!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

i want to be baptized by fire then....LOL

but sensei, as much as he is fond of me, only chooses black belts as guinea pigs for stuff like that. Probably cause theyre BB's....and they know how stuff is done.

Our sensei says he doesn't start training people to be ukis until they hit green belt (4th kyu), but I'm only just about 6th kyu and he's starting to use me. Of course, last class there were only two people there, so we didn't have many options. I have a feeling I'm going to become one of the favorite ukis once I get more experienced. I'm young and so can take a bit more than those old guys without as much risk of getting hurt and I think it's fun to get thrown around... :nod:

I think it's fun to get thrown around... :nod:

try explaining to a non martial artist why getting thrown about the dojo is so much fun lol

as someone on another board said once its probably much easier to convert someone to a religion. =]