• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Double versus single mouthguard..

Sibylla

Got a double mouthguard, made for women, that is supposed to be safer for concussion etc. But it´s more difficult to breath with...is it worth it when it comes to safety? (kickboxing, no other headgear)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I assume that its a "Brain Pad" mouthpiece. They are supposed to be very good. For best protection, I'd talk with your dentist about a custom made mouth guard. Those are usually singles, & they are much more expensive, but they are worth every penny.

Dentist made mouth pieces run about $150. With a dentist-made mouth piece, you can carry on a normal conversation....& breathing is not an issue.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

The double one is especially for ladies, not sure it´s a brain pad, but supposed to protect better against concussions by keeping the jaw in a certain position..

I didn´t know that the ones that the dentists make are singles, I´ll ask my dentist to make me one next time I see him. Thanks for the advice!

The double one is especially for ladies, not sure it´s a brain pad, but supposed to protect better against concussions by keeping the jaw in a certain position..

I didn´t know that the ones that the dentists make are singles, I´ll ask my dentist to make me one next time I see him. Thanks for the advice!

Dentists make them for all types of sports. All mouthpieces are NOT created equal.....even by dentists. A MP for basketball will be thinner than one for football. Boxing & kickboxing MP's are the thickest. I recomend getting one of those.

All my best.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want out of a mouth piece. A single is plenty of protection if it's properly fitted. Shock Doctor puts out some good ones that you can self mold. A dental fitted one will fit better. If you go in to get one, make sure you tell them what sport it is for. The construction/build will be different by the sport. There are a couple of mouth piece companies that make products for martial artists/boxers/kick boxers from dental molds.

A double can be self fitted, or dental fitted. Again, dental fittings are better. But, they cost.

I have a self molded single mouth piece from Shock Doctor. It is the same type that I used sparring with a pro boxer/kick boxer and the guys he was preping for amature fights. You can talk around them and cheat and breath through your mouth if you get winded. You can also unclinch your jaw and take a bad shot if you aren't paying attention.

A double, mine is dental fitted, locks your jaw into place and makes me feel bullet proof when I'm sparring. Clinching your jaw on it is natural. However, you might have trouble breathing around one, and you sure can't talk around a double mouth piece. If your cardio isn't up, or your instructing, they are a pain to take in and out or will cut short your rounds.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I assume that its a "Brain Pad" mouthpiece. They are supposed to be very good.
A double, mine is dental fitted, locks your jaw into place and makes me feel bullet proof when I'm sparring. Clinching your jaw on it is natural. However, you might have trouble breathing around one, and you sure can't talk around a double mouth piece.

We used sell the Brain Pad. It also used to be called the Jaw Joint Protector. It's a double, but it puts a lot more material between your top and bottom teeth than a regular double. That allows for a much larger breathing hole.

The idea behind it is that you'll have greater cushion when you get hit in the jaw so that less energy will be transfered to your jaw joint and less to your brain.

We stopped selling them because they didn't turn over quickly enough with our customer base, not because of any problem we had with the product.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I assume that its a "Brain Pad" mouthpiece. They are supposed to be very good.
A double, mine is dental fitted, locks your jaw into place and makes me feel bullet proof when I'm sparring. Clinching your jaw on it is natural. However, you might have trouble breathing around one, and you sure can't talk around a double mouth piece.

We used sell the Brain Pad. It also used to be called the Jaw Joint Protector. It's a double, but it puts a lot more material between your top and bottom teeth than a regular double. That allows for a much larger breathing hole.

The idea behind it is that you'll have greater cushion when you get hit in the jaw so that less energy will be transfered to your jaw joint and less to your brain.

We stopped selling them because they didn't turn over quickly enough with our customer base, not because of any problem we had with the product.

Hi John,

I'd imagine that you didn't sell as many as you would have liked because the misconception people have about them...that one can't breathe as well with one. When, I reality, I think folks either don't prepare them correctly, they don't learn to relax & breathe properly during sparring, or a combination of the two.

I like my dentist made mouth piece because I don't need to think about breathing properly & because I can talk (teach with it in the whole class & not need to take it out).