• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!

Turtle

I guess I should introduce myself instead of just jumping in. :D

I started studying Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo when I was in eighth grade, and did that for almost four years until the dojo closed. After that, I switched to Goju Ryu and studied that for nearly two years, as well as taking short classes via my college in Shotokan and Tai Chi.

After a long break, I'm hoping to begin studying again. I'd really like to return to kempo, but there isn't a school in my area. There is a Goju Ryu school, but while I liked it a lot, it never really clicked for me the way kempo did. I think the thing I miss the most is the weapons training, especially jo and eskrima — I really loved both, and I don't think I was too horrible with a jo.

So at the moment, I'm "shopping around."

I've lurked here on and off for a while, but now that I'm starting to think seriously about getting back into martial arts, I figured I should register and start joining in. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome.

It is really well respectable for you to be going about it this way..'shopping around'. I would say just discuss your needs with the Goju instructor. And see if he can cope with them.

But dont limit yourself to just Karate either. Shop around in other styles also.

Thank you for the welcomes! And for the advice, Ichi_Geki. I will certainly keep it in mind. I'm not ruling Goju Ryu out entirely. I did enjoy it, I'd just like to see if there's something nearby that suits me a little better first.