• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crash & Claw

"Crash & Claw" is what I think of when viewing what's referred to as a Krav Maga "Rhino" defense. It's at:

http://blackbeltmag.com/moni-aizik-commando-krav-maga-rhino-elbow-defense/videos/216

This is different from Iain Abernethy's "Crash & Seize" (as I call it) attack. What Abernethy interpreted from a kata is a two-armed crash, then a seize to infight with elbows and knees. The defense demonstrated by Moni Aizik uses one arm to crash, then clawing motions with both hands against the face. I imagine it could be customized to palmheels, instead.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The block is OK, but IMO leaves your left ribs very vulnerable and you can't see to your left side in case there is another attacker on that side of you, or if your attacker steps to your left. The palm to the chin is good, but I don't care for the "claw" to the face..not overly effective IMO.

I'd prefer a hand block or outside block instead of the "rhino" block so you'd still be able to see to your left side and your elbow can easily lower to protect your ribcage, still do the under the chin (or various other punches) palm strike and finish with punches or kicks as your opponent steps/falls backwards.

Different strokes for different folks...

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

The elbow parry he's using and dubbing a rhino is actually pretty good for hooking attacks, you'll use them alot in boxing. It covers well, protects everything on the side of the head and is pretty forgiving if angles of attack change. It covers alot that's important.

I use it alot. you can even move it around and intercept straight attacks and such. Again, with some poractice, very versitile. It does lend itself to the crashing mindset well.

It does expose the ribs, but any movement will open something. It's a cost/benifit that simply occurs. I'm usually more concerned with the head than the body. Also, crashing will tend to minimize that risk.

The clawing is fine too, as long as you're raking the eyes. It WILL elicit a response. Very few people will risk things moving around their eyes without reacting. You just have to be certain that the use of force limits that you're under allow for that tactic in a given situation. What it won't do is end the fight or knock the guy out or destroy his ability to press on.

I don't think that's what they're selling either, it's a tactic to gain distance to be used in conjunction with other measures.

The video presented is to

demonstrates a self-defense/escape technique referred to as "The Rhino"

The aspect of using the meaty part of the arm to protect from an outside hook is relevant, and effective as it prevent the hook from doing a deep muscle penetration strike to the jaw, temple or neck area. The clawing is extremely effective for women, and was taught during rape prevention classes years back. Now they moved to keys and mace,and yes the target is still the eyes as it will assist the victim to halt the attack so they can get away.

As noted previously not many will sacrifice an eye, to accomplish an assault unless it was life threatening.

Krav Maga is very effective when put into use. It is like any other form of MA in many aspects as it requires countless hours of training and everyone sweats :D

The difference between school and life is simple

In school your taught a lesson

that prepares you for a test

In life your given a test

that teaches you a lesson

• 1 month later...

The block he uses is excellent- its nothing more than simple boxing/thai boxing techniques borrowed in Krav. Its also the most favored technique to defend against looping punches/ haymakers. Hand blocks, commonly seen in karate, leave one vulnerable when attempted on circular punches. Circular punches are unpredictable and can make solid contact if you reach out to block it and misjudge. A correct block, as shown in the video, covers up all targets and protects one well, at the minor expense of absorbing the blow.

As far as the rake to the eyes- it looked like a decent self defense scenario in my opinion until then.

Heres the problem with the eye rake- it has to hit the eyes to be at all effective. If your opponents head isnt snapped back, or if he closes his eyes, this technique is utterly useless- as it wont even offbalance him.

Why not just apply simple thai boxing techniques here- block the haymaker, and counter with a strong cross, elbow, follow up with a strong knee, and plant him on his rear. Thats quick and effective, and I dont care what I hit with the elbow.

It's another set of tools. That's all.

Depending on someone's level of proficiency, they might be less successful with the combination you mention than gouging. As there's no gurentee that the gouge will work, there is no sure outcome for the MT combo either.

Remember, we're not saying that the eye gouge is the be all end all tactic, it's just a tool that works well or creating a flinch response. It can be damaging, but it's another tool. Treat it as such.

That’s cool. That rhino block looks an awful lot like a Uechi Elbow strike from Seisan or San sei ryu. I never thought that that particular strike could also be a block. I guess you learn something new every day!

To comment on the eye rake. To say that an eye rake is ineffective when the opponent’s eyes are closed is... how can I say this without being offensive? ... a little silly. If the opponent closes his eyes due to my eye rake then the eye rake did exactly what it's supposed to do, give me a tactical advantage. Now I can kick you in the balls, punch you in the throat, take out your knee, or just give me enough time to run away. It is a beautiful technique and some form of an eye strike should be apart of every self defense course.

I think that using the elbow like that is an effective block. I recently learned a technique where you use an upward elbow strike when the attacker tries to pull you into his punch. At the same time it can be used as a block if they try to hit you with the opposite hand.

I can also see the claw being effective if it was done right, although that is probably not what I would use in that situation.

Effort

Etiquette

Sincerity

Character

Self-Control

It's another set of tools. That's all.

Depending on someone's level of proficiency, they might be less successful with the combination you mention than gouging. As there's no gurentee that the gouge will work, there is no sure outcome for the MT combo either.

Remember, we're not saying that the eye gouge is the be all end all tactic, it's just a tool that works well or creating a flinch response. It can be damaging, but it's another tool. Treat it as such.

While you may see the eye gouge as being an "end all be all" Krav, and many Krav practicioners, sell it as such.

The combination I explained will work exceptionally well provided that it hits (i.e. you dont miss outright). A sure outcome of the situation will be a very injured opponent, although I understand this is relevant to the efficiency of the practitioner. Nontheless, the eye gouge requires a specific set of circumstances in order to have any desired effect. The target is exceptionally small, easily protected, and difficult to pinpoint.

Conversely, a solid follow up elbow (after the palm strike as shown) will do significant damage regardless of where it hits your opponent. Anywhere near the jawline allows to ko's or at the least severely rattles ones opponent. Anywhere higher (suppose the assailant drops his jaw and his head) still leads to a vicious cut on that same opponent- a cut on his head, forehead, or anything above the eye allows for plenty of blood to leak into his eyes. Besides the head, thrown well the same elbow can break a collarbone or be dropped into someones chest to knock the wind of out them. Its so exceptionally versatialle, regardless of where it hits. Your targets range from the chest all the way up to the head. You just blocked a punch, so you know your opponent is right in front of you- you could literally close your eyes and throw an elbow and do alot of damage having no idea what you hit.

Its not a guarenteed ko itself, but I will guarentee significantly better results than an eye rake. An eye rake that misses its target does nothing- theres no power behind the shot. An elbow that it blocked at best, still transfers significant amounts of power and your opponent still has to absorb that blow.

I can't speak for Krav guys. Some of them probabily do, some probably don't.

I have no problem with the combo you cite. I've used it quite alot myself. I still keep the eye work in reserve. Again, flinch is good. It gives space for all sorts of things.

Keep in mind, mma fighters caught unintentionally with an eye poke often show considerable effect. Unintentionally with the contact. You can't expect it to do nothing when it connects in a real situation. Yes, there are contact problems, this is true of everything however.

It's a tool. One of many, just treat it as such with no more or less regard than others in your arsenal.