• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kid trailer out

I think it's cause I'm a woman. All that flashy fighty stuff just isn't my thing. I actually fast forward through all the chase-through-asteroid-field scenes in Star Wars. I like the mind stuff over the physical stuff-- which is why I love the original Karate Kid so much-- it was more mind and balance and patience than "go do a back flip over that fence and then kick the imaginary man five times in the head" (because we all know in real life you have to kick someone in the head five times to bring them down :roll: ). I like movies that show more authentic martial arts with the struggle and the fact that learning is slow and that flashiness doesn't usually win actual fights. Just my preference.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: at the chopsticks bit.

I don't think it'll be too bad. Obviously won't be able to replace the original movie but I'd probably watch it. Mos of Jackie Chan's films are quite good. I think I read somewhere that Jaden actually learned wushu properly for the part?

I read that some where to. I can not remember where. I thinking Black Belt Mag.

I think it looks good, looking forward to it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-karate-kid.html

This is a remake of the original with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son).

The choreography looks like it's going to be good. But I don't think they should have called it a remake to the karate kid. Maybe they should have called it the "Kung Fu Kid."

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I might watch it on the net or something, but I doubt I'll put money in the studio's pocket. It might only be $10, but it's my $10, and the studio doesn't need it for a movie that shouldn't even be called a remake. Jackie Chan will provide some great acrobatic stuff, and some comedy as well, but it's hard to defile, I mean remake a classic and have the reception be anything better than lukewarm.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yeah...I'll be watching it....nice entertainment and it's an excuse for me to eat popcorn.....heheheehehehe. Jaden Smith is proving himself as a pretty good actor and Jackie Chan was a good choice in this role. And I'm like DWx...the chopstick bit was FUNNY! A nice family film!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hey it'll be great for the kids who weren't about in the 80s or too young in the early 90s though.

Absolutely!!!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks Wire for letting me know, I missed this somehow.

Ok here is my two cents on this.

The first is it is called the Karate Kid, but it is set in China and even Sony pictures description of it is about a kid being taught Kung Fu.

The second is that Jackie Chan is in it, and teaching Kung Fu, fine but he is Chinese and it isnt Karate, so can anyone shed some light on their thought process as to why they are attemping to technically insult both martial arts with this movie.

I am dreading it when I get new students roll in after seeing this movie and me having to let them know that its completely different.

To clear up the confusion about the film, actually Jaden Smith's character in the film is a karate student before him and his mother move to China.

Thus the title "The Karate Kid."

Here is the plot summary from Imdb.com:

12-year-old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life.

Yes, it makes sense now and I'm happy they didn't try to completely remake the classic film, it has similar aspects though.

Jaden Smith really surprised me in those clips in the trailer. He seems mature for his age and Jackie Chan seems more serious, though I'm sure it will have it's comedic moments.

It looks very promising to me.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi