• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kid trailer out

Personally I'm excited to see Jackie Chan in this role. I'm glad you pointed out the Karate Kid thing there too, thanks. It makes at least some sense now. "The Karate Kid" has become a term of insult from the chinese kids now it seems, interesting switch.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I WILL see this movie. I don't know if I'll spend the money to see it in a theater or wait until it goes to video, but I definitely want to see it.

I don't expect it to be true to the original, and that's okay. In the original, most of the comedy went to Ralph Macchio while Pat Morita was serious most of the time. I would guess that the roles will be reversed in the new movie, with Jackie Chan being pretty comical and Jaden Smith much more "cool" than Daniel Larusso was. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I haven't seen the trailer yet.

I was sorry to hear it was set in China. I live a few minutes from Reseda where the original took place, so I would've liked to have seen it set in the Valley again. Especially since Jaden lives somewhat close, if what I hear is correct. I suppose an exotic location could be kinda cool. I wonder how much will be in English and how much will be subtitled.

As far as the kung fu vs karate thing, being of Japanese descent, I would've preferred seeing karate, but I think they could do a good job with kung fu, too. I don't mind, as long as they don't follow the old kung fu movie tradition of making the Japanese karate-ka the bad guy!

I haven't heard much about the plot other than what's in this thread. I hope it doesn't come off like a Chinese martial art version of Tokyo Drift.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Well just forced myself to watch the trailer finally. I know i know, threads been up for awhile. I was really afraid to be disappointed but after seeing it, I do want to see it.

It kinda looks like the next next karate kid to me though. New teacher, new student, different area, same problems.

After watching the trailer I seriously recommend to immediately rename the movie to Kung Fu Kid, which will be also better for marketing reasons. The movie is more about Kung Fu than Karate. That's also quite logic because the movie is set in China and Jackie Chan, who plays the master, is trained in Kung Fu not Karate. I think that the audience will recieve the movie better if the title is changed.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

• 1 month later...

Tournaments in China? I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if there were.

Be surprised! There are tournaments in China. I have a friend that has gone there many times to compete

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw the trailer! I must admit that I will see it…. at home on pay-per-view. I loved the original when I was a kid and this version seemed to be a nice mix of an old story told to a new audience. As some others have stated I will view this movie more as the Kung-Fu Kid…. loosely based on the Karate Kid.

On a side note – I recently watched the original again. Only this time I’m watching as a person that is training in Karate… my new found knowledge really takes away from the plot.

After watching the trailer I seriously recommend to immediately rename the movie to Kung Fu Kid, which will be also better for marketing reasons. The movie is more about Kung Fu than Karate. That's also quite logic because the movie is set in China and Jackie Chan, who plays the master, is trained in Kung Fu not Karate. I think that the audience will recieve the movie better if the title is changed.

You seriously think the movie will be better-received- as in commercially, by audiences, it will sell more tickets- if it doesn't get tenuously tied in to a beloved American classic that was nominated to an Academy Award? You think they'll line up to see a Jaden Smith vehicle produced by Will Smith on its own merits? It may be the more honest thing to do, but it's pretty far from the most marketing-savvy.