sensei8

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all we need is Gomez Addams' M. Bison suit.

Since this thread has been completely hijacked anyway, how does looking like a military dictator who also looks like a member of village people help in the development of the single most important development in flashlight combat? (I.E. the smashlight)

Now all we need is Gomez Addams' M. Bison suit.

Since this thread has been completely hijacked anyway, how does looking like a military dictator who also looks like a member of village people help in the development of the single most important development in flashlight combat? (I.E. the smashlight)

The two are unrelated, other than being homemade weapons.

One lets you see in the dark and cause blunt force trauma. The other levitates you and shocks your heart and gives you adrenaline when you die.

Also, as ridiculous as we are, we are on topic.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

The other levitates you and shocks your heart and gives you adrenaline when you die.

Also, as ridiculous as we are, we are on topic.

I suppose since in the game M. Bison (Vega in Japan) uses mental power (hence "psycho- named" moves) in the game, but his suit does appear to be technological in nature. I suppose if right after I master the smashlight, we begin to discuss the ins and outs of producing a Bison Costume, we can do that. I do however believe that the off-topic forum might be the place.

Anyhow, until that time comes, we're waiting on Tallgeese to respond with his input on my tentative design. I plan to begin work on the prototype in one week.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Ok, I wasn't doing anything tonight...I bought a flashlight and a 1 &7/9" ball hitch.

Out problems right out of the bat are several-fold.

1) The specs of the LED are unknown. Without knowing this, I am unsure as to what voltage the LED is, and as such what it requires. This will require some testing.

2) Without knowing the voltage, I cannot determine how large of a resistor I will need in order to make this light run on 2 batteries. Perhaps it will run on 2, and perhaps I'll end up soldering resistors tonight. The testing from problem number one should address this.

3) While the shaft from the hitch will be able to fit into the end cap of the flashlight, the nut that secures it has much too large of a diameter to fit inside the flashlight tube.

4) Problem number 3 can only be solved by either:

a) Making an adapter that has an outside diameter and threads that fit the maglight, and an inside diameter and threads that fit the hitch. This would allow the threaded shaft of the ball (not dirty) to be cut down and perhaps eliminate the need to run two batteries. The hitch would simply function as the endcap for the flashlight. or...

b. Obtaining as small-thickness nut that will fit inside the flashlight tube and secure the ball hitch to the flashlight cap.

Stay tuned!

Update: Three batteries predictably make about 50% more light than two. No surprise there. The hitch shaft takes up about the same amount of space as a D-Battery, so it was looking like that was the way to go on this.

However, I now think that the best way to go is to make an adapter to turn the hitch into a replacement end-cap. The tolerances and thickness of both the stock and "replacement" cap are similar, and by cutting the hitch down, I'm modifying a 5 dollar hitch, and not a 30 dollar flashlight.

This will allow the light to be tuned back into a standard flashlight, and the "smash-light attachment" to be taken off or put onto another flashlight at will. So, I'm attempting to find, or barring that, machine an adapter.

― Homer, The Simpsons

LP, next time you make it back to the JC, we need to schedule a test for a prototype. What do you think we could obtain that is going to have the same strength as a human skull. Let us know before you come down and we can procure a test sight and the testing materials.

Lets try to keep this scientific.

By scientific i mean that there should not be anything on fire afterwards.

I can mix up the ballistics gel, so that part is no problem. As for the rest of the body...the femur, rib section, pelvis, and skull of a deer, cow, or pig would be sufficient for our purposes.

Edit: I've been kicking around Freddy and Vega claws forever...it could be the next project no problem.

Additional Edit: No fire??!?!?!!? Fine...

― Homer, The Simpsons

1 Lb. of plain gelatin powder.

1 gallon of cold water

Heating device

Cooling device

Gently mix the two together until all the gelatin is moist. It's important to not over mix or use an electric mixer, because we don't want to introduce too much air into the process. Let the mixture refrigerate for about 3 to 5 hours.

We need to melt it now, which can be done over very low heat, or by placing the container over a pan of near boiling water. We just want to turn our mixture into a pourable liquid, not cook or burn it. 110-130 degrees Fahrenheit is what we're looking for. Once again, take care not to introduce a lot of air into the mixture, we want it to be heavy and dense like a bad guy, not lite and airy like a souffle.

Now comes the fun part. Hopefully you've selected a mold or two for the gel to set up in. Something with a flat bottom is preferable, and squares are probably the easiest to deal with. Make sure to line the mold with plastic wrap or coat it with a lubricant. After you pour it into the mold, you can add "extras to it" Skulls, bones, organs, veins, arteries, or anything else you'd find in a human body will do. Be creative at the local butcher shop, and make sure that whatever you add is cleaned and free of extra moisture.

Once your gelatin is its mold, put it back in the fridge for around 4 or 5 days, covered and....that's it! You've now got something to test projectiles on for penetration purposes, blades on for cutting depth, and a padding for bones to test blunt force trauma.

Now, back to the smash light drawing board...

Also, if a mod wants to break this off and make a new thread about "smashlights, and weapon testing" or something ridiculous like that, it might be handy. We've kind of hijacked the original thread.

― Homer, The Simpsons