• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Homemade Weapons

sensei8

I've made many Homemade Nunchaku's for one reason or another. Some went well for me and others went bad for me. I'd buy some dowel, a small length of chain, and two eye-screws; then I'd assemble them. They weren't the best....or the safest....but...they served a purpose for me.

I know of two times while I was in high school and I performed a martial arts demo in a talent show which included Kata, Weapons, and Tuite. Now, I can speak of some authority when I say what I'm about to say.

Homemade nunchaku's are best kept AT HOME where nobody can be at risk. During one of my high school talent show demo's I was performing a Kata and when I was executing a forward strike and that's when the wheels fell off. At the apex of that technique, the nunchaku came apart. I was left with one end of the nunchaku while the other end went flying into/towards the audience. I paused just long enough to wait for the scream of pain from the audience but it never came, therefore, I continued on for the show must go on...I didn't miss a beat. I waited for the scream because I couldn't tell or see where the flying independent piece went because the stage lights were so bright that I couldn't see beyond the stage.

Well, that's how my Homemade Weapon experience went. So, has anyone ever made a Homemade martial arts weapon(s)? How did it go?

BTW, after my display of non-carpentry skills, I never used a Homemade martial arts weapon outside of my garage.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I shouldn't laugh but that would be pretty funny to watch on a sitcom or something. My dad (a joiner/carpenter) made me a set similar to your description using broom shaft and chain when I was about 8. I had tons of fun with them but was never very skilled. Didn't have any major accidents though, they never came apart or anything.

I was in metal shop in high school. Made a aluminum set of nunchuk's, sai's out of brass and ninja hand and feet climbing claws.

the chuk's where too heavy even being made out of aluminum.

the sai's weld broke when I was trying a technique.

and the claws. well.......we will just say ouch with a few swear words.

Only thing that seemed to work good was the chinese version i made of the throwing dart.

My first jo was made out of a broomstick. My dad helped me cut it to the right size and I sanded it down. I never used it for anything but practice at home, though. And fortunately, there were no parts to break off, because it probably would have happened.

I generally feel that if I have to put much effort into constructing or modifying it, it's too exotic to be practical. I've tried poking around a bit with shovels, crowbars, and sledgehammers, though.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 1 month later...

When I was in Kenpo the first time around in elementary school, I had to perform a stick technique for a demo. My dad and I cut a couple of broomsticks down and wrapped them in electrical tape so that I could practice. They're still laying around the house somewhere...

Effort

Etiquette

Sincerity

Character

Self-Control

• 8 months later...

I have made bo staffs out of cut bamboo and they worked fairly well. They were pretty strong. Still do this occasionally to make gifts for kids at the dojo. We engrave their names into the bamboo with a wood burning tool.

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I made a heater shield the other day. It turned out pretty good, but they are hard to guard low with. I wanted something easier to maneuver so I made a buckler from a old skillet and a piece of 2x4. Now I just need to figure out how I want to paint it. The heater shield I used a skull and crossbones on, simple, yet very cool looking. Any ideas for the round shield? Keep in mind I have no artistic talent.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 3 weeks later...