• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to Karate

Lupin1

Hi. I'm just getting into karate again after an 8 year break. I studied Isshinryu for five years in elementary and middle school and then once I got into high school I just had other activities I wanted to do more on Tuesday and Thursday nights. My freshman year of college I started wanting to do Karate again, but as I was in one part of the country for 8 months every year and another for 4 I thought that wouldn't be very conducive to progression, especially for someone just relearning.

So I waited it out and now I'm just out of college and starting up again at the same free school at the local boys and girls club that I studied at when I was younger. I just had my first class on Saturday and I can't wait for my second class tomorrow. I forgot how much fun it was until one of the instructors had me by the arm bent over backwards while refreshing my memory on grab releases. :) The adult class is very small and made up almost entirely of black belts with one higher kyu, so no matter who I'm working with, they know what they're doing and I can learn a lot from them. I'm enjoying my "limbo" period right now where I'm not a specific belt. I remember most of the techniques and I remember the katas for the first three belts in their entirety, so right now I'm just working on remembering the finer details and I'm hoping I'll be back up to where I was in a few months so I can start progressing again. I'm excited!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi. I'm just getting into karate again after an 8 year break. I studied Isshinryu for five years in elementary and middle school and then once I got into high school I just had other activities I wanted to do more on Tuesday and Thursday nights. My freshman year of college I started wanting to do Karate again, but as I was in one part of the country for 8 months every year and another for 4 I thought that wouldn't be very conducive to progression, especially for someone just relearning.

So I waited it out and now I'm just out of college and starting up again at the same free school at the local boys and girls club that I studied at when I was younger. I just had my first class on Saturday and I can't wait for my second class tomorrow. I forgot how much fun it was until one of the instructors had me by the arm bent over backwards while refreshing my memory on grab releases. :) The adult class is very small and made up almost entirely of black belts with one higher kyu, so no matter who I'm working with, they know what they're doing and I can learn a lot from them. I'm enjoying my "limbo" period right now where I'm not a specific belt. I remember most of the techniques and I remember the katas for the first three belts in their entirety, so right now I'm just working on remembering the finer details and I'm hoping I'll be back up to where I was in a few months so I can start progressing again. I'm excited!

Just remember not to get to focused on achieving a dan rank. Its about the journey to that dan rank.

And welcome...:)