• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Double Down!

quinteros1963

If you're going to simply train both without a goal, it might hinder you some.

My goal is to continue to train and learn the arts. I feel like I've improved some in a matter of 2 weeks in shotokan. I am not confused in the least with the different kata. I will say that Goju will be my main art, but it would be nice to reach nidan in Shotokan and higher in Goju.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm going to give shotokan a shot ( no pun intended), but still practice my Goju kata. I think it will only make me better. The founders of many of the Okinowan styles were trained by some of the same masters or even with one another, so why cant I. Besides a side kick is a side kick, right?

I'll keep you all posted.

Some shotokan styles use a side kick with the heel as the striking point...but in Uechi Ryu and ONE goju ryu teacher I had used the "cutting" edge of the foot..."Sokuto"...so No a side kick is not a side kick, per se.

Some shotokan styles use a side kick with the heel as the striking point...but in Uechi Ryu and ONE goju ryu teacher I had used the "cutting" edge of the foot..."Sokuto"...so No a side kick is not a side kick, per se.

What kyu level are you at in Shotokan? I have never heard of this.

There are two side kicks in Shotokan.

yoko-geri keage (side snap kick)

This is done with the blade of the foot with quick retraction.

yoko-geri kekomi (side thrust kick)

This is done with the heal, with slower retraction

A side snap done with the heal is incorrect, and a side thrust kick done with the blade is incorrect. Neither is correct in all side kicks.

Way of Japan Karate Do

Bakersfield, Ca. USA

• 5 weeks later...

Well after a month of Shotokan, I'm starting to like it. I still miss Goju though. Besides that fact that I'm almost a brown belt. I'm thinking of still grading in Goju at a school a ways out, but still going to Shotokan because of location and its a good workout. Its only 5 minutes drive versus 50 minutes. So I'll only be able to go once a week for Goju. What do you think and what do you think my Shotokan Sensei will think of this.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I don't see why any instructors should care about people training in more than one art, especially if you were already a brown belt in Goju-- it's very reasonable for you to want to get your black belt when you're that close. You're the consumer, I don't see why your Shotakan instructor should care whether you're taking Goju or Middle Eastern Bellydancing in your nights away from his dojo. I can see him advising that starting a new art at the same time as his might confuse you, but in the end I don't see why instructors should have that much say in today's world.

What kyu level are you at in Shotokan? I have never heard of this.

There are two side kicks in Shotokan.

yoko-geri keage (side snap kick)

This is done with the blade of the foot with quick retraction.

yoko-geri kekomi (side thrust kick)

This is done with the heal, with slower retraction

A side snap done with the heal is incorrect, and a side thrust kick done with the blade is incorrect. Neither is correct in all side kicks.

Sokuto IS yoko-geri keage and yoko-geri keage IS the side blade kick; ashi-gatana or sokuto. The heel is more suited to hard targets such as the ribs, stomach, jaw, temple and chest. The side blade is more suited to the softer targets such as the knee and neck.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!