• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

38 years old and just started

Hi,

Just to introduce myself, I'm 38 years old and have started karate 3 months ago and ABSOLUTELY love the classes and sensei's are really good... It's Wado Ryu that I'm doing!

My fitness level is practically zero although within the 3 months I've gotten better, however my real concern is whether at my age and fitness level, will I ever be able to kick high (head height) comfortably? I've not noticed alot of improvement and I'm concerned I've "missed the boat"...

I guess my question is can a 38 year old complete beginner work to kick to head height comfortably? :bawling: I watch everyone else in admiration

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi and welcome to the forum and to Karate in general, glad you're enjoying it! With enough practice, and especially enough stretches and flexibility training, you'll get there. 38 isn't too late at all.

In my own experience, I've found lower kicks to be more effective than ones at head height. But if that's your goal, it's definitely do-able. Get plenty of leg stretches in, don't force it, and you'll find you get much more flexible over time.

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

That's really encouraging to hear, looking at the younger people they seem to not have any problems kicking so I did feel a bit down!!

My sensei's say that I shouldn't worry too much about kicking high as alot of kicks are aimed at drawing the guard down?? but they push you to kick high as well which is good but frustrating.

By the sounds of it I need to learn the art of patience!

Karate's definitely not something you can pick up in a session or two, it takes time to get used to, and even when you've been doing it for years there's always more to learn or improve on. I wouldn't focus too much on the goal of head-height kicking so much as just improving your flexibility and technique. That way every small improvement will be a goal achieved, and the kicks will follow.

Yuppers. Barring any mechanical limitations.....no reason you can't improve flexibility. Very easy over the years to lose flexibility in the lower extremities, as most daily living activities simply don't require an extended range of motion.

The good news -- again, barring any mechanical limitations -- flexibility can be restored. You just gots to work on it.

Something else to consider....depending on your stature, you might not need ultimate flexibility to kick high.

Hi,

Just to introduce myself, I'm 38 years old and have started karate 3 months ago and ABSOLUTELY love the classes and sensei's are really good... It's Wado Ryu that I'm doing!

My fitness level is practically zero although within the 3 months I've gotten better, however my real concern is whether at my age and fitness level, will I ever be able to kick high (head height) comfortably? I've not noticed alot of improvement and I'm concerned I've "missed the boat"...

I guess my question is can a 38 year old complete beginner work to kick to head height comfortably? :bawling: I watch everyone else in admiration

I started roughly around the same age and I was not as flexible as others when I started. Eventually you do become more flexible as time goes on. Just make sure you stretch ENOUGH before AND after training.

Also important --- don't try to measure your training progress against younger people because everyone's body progresses, heals, reacts, etc. at different levels, speeds, and different time frames.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Just remember this. Never set a goal for a short time. Your goal is to kick above your head.

Go about it like this.

Start with your knee level kicks

then work on your hip level kicks

then work on your solar plexus level kicks

and then work on your pectoral level kicks

then finally work on your head shots.

Space each one out atleast one or two months, but look forward to starting now and achieving this by next year the same time. This way its a long term goal broke down into smaller commitments...much like going from white belt to black belt....Just dont rush yourself.

Welcome aboard, polax. :) Glad to have you.

Nice replies, WireFrame, mr_obvious, Tiger1962 and Ichi_Geki. :)

Patrick

Interesting talk about flexibility. I have been researching it myself as I have been wanting to improve my flexibility further I have been a bit lazy you see.

Age is not so important just make sure you drink lots of water and don't expect to progress as fast as younger people. If its something you really want to be able to do ie kick to the head then im sure you will be able to achieve it.

Here is some info that will help you

For kicking you want to work on dynamic flexibility

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flexibility

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.