• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jiu-Jitsu versus Judo

MMA_jim, my sensei is a 7th dan black belt in small circle JJJ and I have seen him destroy Judo black belts. No martial art is necessarily better than another it all depends on the focus. Small Circle is based around functional joint locks, and from my experience, once your in one put on by someone who knows what they're doing, you're not getting out.

Judo black belts? Actual judo black belts with from USJI, USJA, or USJF-accredited rank? In what context did he 'destroy' Judo black belts- while applying joint locks on them in a controlled manner for instructional purposes, or actual free randori? What I know of Small Circle Jujutsu isn't consistent with them contending with, let alone 'destroying', a legitimate judo black belt- with the possible exceptions of Wally Jay and possibly David Castoldi, who themselves have formidable judo credentials.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMA_jim, my sensei is a 7th dan black belt in small circle JJJ and I have seen him destroy Judo black belts. No martial art is necessarily better than another it all depends on the focus. Small Circle is based around functional joint locks, and from my experience, once your in one put on by someone who knows what they're doing, you're not getting out.

Judo black belts? Actual judo black belts with from USJI, USJA, or USJF-accredited rank? In what context did he 'destroy' Judo black belts- while applying joint locks on them in a controlled manner for instructional purposes, or actual free randori? What I know of Small Circle Jujutsu isn't consistent with them contending with, let alone 'destroying', a legitimate judo black belt- with the possible exceptions of Wally Jay and possibly David Castoldi, who themselves have formidable judo credentials.

So are we talking about this:

Looks like every other version of japanese ju jitsu I've seen- and no you wont be "destroying" any judoka let alone any bjj guys with that.

Wristlocks are great for demonstration because it translates to be able to give one great power at almost no physical expense on their own part (i.e. a small guy can easily control and flip a big guy with no effort).

Works great for demos- in real life, its application is very very limited (but still has a small place)

So are we talking about this:

Looks like every other version of japanese ju jitsu I've seen- and no you wont be "destroying" any judoka let alone any bjj guys with that.

Wristlocks are great for demonstration because it translates to be able to give one great power at almost no physical expense on their own part (i.e. a small guy can easily control and flip a big guy with no effort).

Works great for demos- in real life, its application is very very limited (but still has a small place)

I would have to agree, an O soto gari is way easier to pull off against a resisting opponent then say a kotegaeshi.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 1 month later...

If you are asking what is better for a street fight or an MMA fight, hands down it would have to be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The fact is judo teaches you throws but just because you throw someone doesn't mean the fight is over. But if you for example, choke someone out, then yes the fight is over. Therefore, Jiu Jitsu wins.

If you are asking what is better for a street fight or an MMA fight, hands down it would have to be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The fact is judo teaches you throws but just because you throw someone doesn't mean the fight is over. But if you for example, choke someone out, then yes the fight is over. Therefore, Jiu Jitsu wins.

There are MANY chokes in Judo? Judo= BJJ and BJJ= Judo.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of whether you train in BJJ or Judo, you'll have a significant advantage in a street altercation. BJJ on the other hand, was devised to be solely a street fighting style. Judo was created with the intentions of being a sport based around good conduct (though this doesnt mean its still not extremely effective!)

You did, by bringing up the conditions which Gracie jujutsu was designed for- which was predominantly Brazilian vale tudo fights and submission grappling matches from the mid-1920s onward, not 'street fights' per se.

A fine distinction, but an existant one.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I'd say tossing a guy to the ground on the hard asphalt/concrete is pretty damn effective. He'll definitely be winded, slam his head on the ground maybe, and he could break ribs.

Then you fall on top of him and choke him for good measure.