Jiu-Jitsu versus Judo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you want. If you're into throws and the like, Judo is probably a better choice. Yes, it does have ground aspects, but it's largely a throwing art.

If you want highly technical ground work only, then BJJ is your best bet. Yes, there are throws, but they are usually secondary to actual mat work.

If you're referring to JJJ, then you're looking at high volumes of joint manipuslation, lots of reaping style takedowns and the like. If that's your cup of tea, then there's your answer.

The best bet you have is to honestly look at what you're wanting out of the art you want to study. What are your expectations and probably use. Then, check out schools of each and see which appeals to you the most.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Of course; Judo originally came from Japanese Koryu Jujutsu, its creator Jigiro Kano was formally schooled in the likes of Tenjin shinyo ryu and Kito ryu - prior to creating Judo.

So in a way, when you learn Judo, you are perhaps learning a tiny bit of these beautiful and ancient martial arts which date back over many hundreds of years – or as we conveniently shrink wrap them up into today JJJ (Japanese Jujutsu - sorry Jiu-Jitsu)

As it’s nearly Christmas I thought I would also share this "well humored" (and probably well viewed) insight into BJJ (Brazilian Jujutsu - sorry jiu-jitsu) to assist you in making a well balanced observation between the two.

Enjoy ;)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Judo was born from jujitsu. In the competitive arena, judokas usually have the upper advantage in throws and agressive moves. Jujitsu is usually better at joint manipulation. Both are around the same in groundfighting game.

Both are amazing arts, and one is not better than the other.

If you are looking for competition and lots of exercise and agressive moves - judo.

If you want joint manipulation, dangerous moves and some karate-like movements - jujitsu is for you.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 1 month later...
Judo was born from jujitsu. In the competitive arena, judokas usually have the upper advantage in throws and agressive moves. Jujitsu is usually better at joint manipulation. Both are around the same in groundfighting game.

If you are looking for competition and lots of exercise and agressive moves - judo.

If you want joint manipulation, dangerous moves and some karate-like movements - jujitsu is for you.

Judo and Jiu Jitsu around the same in the groundfighting game? Far from it. I've trained with Olympic Judoka, and they simply are not on the same level as a jiu jitsu fighter when it comes to the ground work.

Would you expect a jiu jitsu fighter to be able to stand up (literally) against a judoka? Of course not. An Olympic judoka will make quick work and be able to play around with any jiu jitsu fighter on the feet.

Now taken to the ground....

The reverse now applies from the jiu jitsu fighter to the judoka. An Olympic Judoka stands no chance whatsoever against a world class jiu jitsu fighter. That same jiu jitsu fighter could again play around with that judoka on the ground just the same as the judoka could probably throw that jiu jitsu fighter with one arm.

Jiu jitsu fighters spend nearly their entire training on the ground. Judoka spend nearly all their training on the feet. Even a judo club that commits a significant portion to their newaza simply doesnt put in the same amount of hours on the ground that a jiu jitsu fighter does.

Theres a reason why jiu jitsu fighters win on the ground and judokas win on the feet- its about hours practiced there, but in no way is judo remotely close to jiu jitsu on the ground, and niether does the best thrower in jiu jitsu threaten any Olympic Judoka on the feet.

*EDIT*

Food for thought- Hidehiko Yoshida is an olympic gold medalist in Judo- Royce Gracie is far from a world class jiu jitsu fighter (he has excellent jiu jitsu, but its self defense/gracie style jiu jitsu- not world championship jiu jitsu).

So, a mediocrel black belt jiu jitsu fighter, who spends his days teaching seminars (and less training) and gives up 50 lbs to an Olympic gold medalist judoka does this to him:

When Yoshida gets mounted for about 4 minutes, he doesnt do a single thing correct to escape

Judo and Jiu Jitsu around the same in the groundfighting game? Far from it. I've trained with Olympic Judoka, and they simply are not on the same level as a jiu jitsu fighter when it comes to the ground work.

Would you expect a jiu jitsu fighter to be able to stand up (literally) against a judoka? Of course not. An Olympic judoka will make quick work and be able to play around with any jiu jitsu fighter on the feet.

The reverse now applies from the jiu jitsu fighter to the judoka. An Olympic Judoka stands no chance whatsoever against a world class jiu jitsu fighter. That same jiu jitsu fighter could again play around with that judoka on the ground just the same as the judoka could probably throw that jiu jitsu fighter with one arm.

Jiu jitsu fighters spend nearly their entire training on the ground. Judoka spend nearly all their training on the feet. Even a judo club that commits a significant portion to their newaza simply doesnt put in the same amount of hours on the ground that a jiu jitsu fighter does.

Theres a reason why jiu jitsu fighters win on the ground and judokas win on the feet- its about hours practiced there, but in no way is judo remotely close to jiu jitsu on the ground, and niether does the best thrower in jiu jitsu threaten any Olympic Judoka on the feet.

*EDIT*

Food for thought- Hidehiko Yoshida is an olympic gold medalist in Judo- Royce Gracie is far from a world class jiu jitsu fighter (he has excellent jiu jitsu, but its self defense/gracie style jiu jitsu- not world championship jiu jitsu).

So, a mediocrel black belt jiu jitsu fighter, who spends his days teaching seminars (and less training) and gives up 50 lbs to an Olympic gold medalist judoka does this to him:

When Yoshida gets mounted for about 4 minutes, he doesnt do a single thing correct to escape

Jiu Jitsu fighters spend almost their entire training on the ground?? Maybe in BJJ... IF you look at Daito Ryu Jujitsu or Goshin Jujitsu are a few examples of Jujitsu that don't spend all their training on the ground. Not all Jujitsu is BJJ you know..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

*EDIT*

Jiu Jitsu fighters spend almost their entire training on the ground?? Maybe in BJJ... IF you look at Daito Ryu Jujitsu or Goshin Jujitsu are a few examples of Jujitsu that don't spend all their training on the ground. Not all Jujitsu is BJJ you know..

Granted, and while I dont want to start a flame war, I've trained with many japanese ju jitsu and other made up ju jitsu's- heres how they rank in my book-

On the ground: BJJ->Judo->JJJ

On the feet (throws) Judo->BJJ->JJJ

I've trained with a few Japanese Ju Jitsu black belts- they're around the level of a 6month brazilian jiu jitsu white belt. Judo black belts (on average) are usually around very good white belts or blue belts on the ground.

MMA_jim, my sensei is a 7th dan black belt in small circle JJJ and I have seen him destroy Judo black belts. No martial art is necessarily better than another it all depends on the focus. Small Circle is based around functional joint locks, and from my experience, once your in one put on by someone who knows what they're doing, you're not getting out.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

MMA_jim, my sensei is a 7th dan black belt in small circle JJJ and I have seen him destroy Judo black belts. No martial art is necessarily better than another it all depends on the focus. Small Circle is based around functional joint locks, and from my experience, once your in one put on by someone who knows what they're doing, you're not getting out.

Unfortunately, Judo in the US is of an exceptionally poor quality (in comparison to other countries).