• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate sparring pacemaker

Paddy

Hi

I have just joined the forum so hello all. My name is Paddy,Shotokan, yellow belt , I have recently had a pacemaker implant and what I would like to know is there any other members in the same position sparring etc?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the board.

I have a student who has a weak heart...not sure if that is the same or not...

But he just has to take a beak every so often and sit down until the color returns back to his face. We dont spar often...we emphasize on Kihon mostly...but with that even he has a mild difficulty with.

You need to ask yoru doctor about this, but as I understand it, a pacemaker keeps the heart beating at the same rhythm no matter what you're doing.

For example, it will keep your heart beating at "X" number of beats sitting in a recliner watching TV and the same rhythm as it would if you were carrying a 50lb backpack and running up 3 flights of stairs. Obviously your body demands a more increased heartbeat to pump oxygen when running up the stairs than it does sitting in a recliner, but the pacemaker keeps it the same.

Again, check with your doctor as the best resourse for this question.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Thanks montana, my pacemaker is rate responsive so no problems

with strenouos exercise, I just need to protect it when sparring.

Thank you.

I would take it a BIT farther than just guarding it and making sure each sparring partner knows about your pacemaker, so you don't get nailed in it.

Can't block everything 100% of the time and all it takes is one stray accident hit to cause issues.

We had a student also with a weak heart. We had to be careful with her cause she was so young. Her doctor actually recommended MA to strengthen it which it did do.

Only thing I can recommend is maybe wear a chest protector as a precaution so nothin serious happens.

Outside of the actual protection of the pacemaker, the biggest other thing I'd recommend is just to be aware of your limits. Know when you need to stop and take a break and make sure you do it.

Kudos to you for taking up martial arts despite physical limitations, just make sure you keep those limitations in mind while training, and hopefully you'll have many years of fruitful rewards ahead of you. :)