• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using the Title "master"

O.k.

"John" is very good at Karate.

John is a master of Karate.

Master John, does not exists unless you are a slave.

His mastery is of the Art. Not of the people around him.

This of it this way.

If John had a Master's degree in science, would you walk around calling him Master John ? No, you would not.

Call your teacher Sensei.

It is means teacher in the West, (what ever the correct translation may be from Japonese), and if you are in the West you are Ok by it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is means teacher in the West, (what ever the correct translation may be from Japonese), and if you are in the West you are Ok by it.

A Nihon version of Sensei is in reference to anyone that comes before you.

But also in nihon sensei can also be of the highest achievement.

O.k.

"John" is very good at Karate.

John is a master of Karate.

Master John, does not exists unless you are a slave.

His mastery is of the Art. Not of the people around him.

This of it this way.

If John had a Master's degree in science, would you walk around calling him Master John ? No, you would not.

FWIW, I don't see a necessary link from master to slave. The term can denote a master of a particular subject matter, without the slightest connotation or suggestion of subjugating other people. I wouldn't call someone with a masters of science "master", but I might well call someone recognised as a master of some artform - painting, calligraphy, pottery, bonsai etc - master. In doing so, it would seem respectful but quaint, and I can't imagine people caring much either way. I think it's other elements permeating martial arts - a dimension of physical threat, eastern customs, potential unwarranted violence, cult activity, fantasies of being a comic book hero made real - that already puts some people on guard and makes them hypersensitive to the term "master"....

Cheers,

Tony

Personally, I don't call any martial artist...."Master"! I have never called my Soke or my Dai-Soke "Master"! I call them by their name, or by "Sir", or by "Sensei", but, never "Master".

I'm aware that within the Shindokan By-Laws, Godan and above is at the "Master" level, but, I've not meet a Shindokan Master yet. I'm a Shindokan Hachidan, but, I don't want to be called "Master" in any shape, way, and/or form.

How can I, being imperfect, have mastered anything, I'm flawed at the core. I'm a student of the martial arts and in that, I'm still seeking that one perfect technique...still!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think you hit it on the head sensei8. I have a peer that refers to himself "master" so and so and when he refers to me to also as "master" and personally I am uncomfortable with this. I do not mind being referred as "Sensei" but being called master I feel is a bit much.

I've always considered 5th dan and up to be master. I mean that usually takes what about 20 or more years to reach that level right?

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I think you hit it on the head sensei8. I have a peer that refers to himself "master" so and so and when he refers to me to also as "master" and personally I am uncomfortable with this. I do not mind being referred as "Sensei" but being called master I feel is a bit much.

You are right. An artist should remain humble. My sensei is ranked very high and prefers to be called Sensie, even though others call him Shihan. I admire his humility as do I yours Sensei J. I hope to see you all soon.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I find it interesting that so many people equate the term master with perfection. If you look up the definition of master, not a single one of them says perfection. The closest the word comes to meaning perfection is "highly skilled". And in my opinion there are plenty of martial artists that I would feel very comfortable terming "highly skilled".

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein