• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Did Patrick Start KarateForums.com?

Wa-No-Michi

The reason I don't talk about the martial arts very much is because I'm not a martial artist. :) So, I stick to what I know and only reply when I think I have something viable to add. I appreciate the invitation, in any case.

Just out of interest, what made you chose ma/karate as a subject to build a community around?

I see the ifroggy network has fingers in many pies - good for you.

How does the Karate community compare to others?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just out of interest, what made you chose ma/karate as a subject to build a community around?

That's a great question!

I thought so too.

I think sometimes the big man is a bit shy about these things. ;)

I also think that deep down most of us know why, and perhaps by not answering he is sparing our blushes?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Hey all,

It's not that I'm not answering, it's just that this is just the first opportunity I've had to read this thread since I replied, which was less than 48 hours ago. I've talked about this in the forums numerous times and in private just as much. Thanks for the question and kind words. I went ahead and gave this it's own thread.

I had the idea of the site back in 2001. I liked the idea and I sensed there was a need for a quality martial arts discussion community that was built upon respect. So, I decided to do it. I'm very proud of what we've accomplished here in the last 8 and 1/2 years. I believe very strongly that what matters when managing a community is passion for the community.

As far as how this community compares to others... the martial arts are a different topic from others that I've managed communities around. One reason for this is that there is less hard data. On a tech support community, you know that someone needs to do A, G and Z. On a sports community, you know that Derek Jeter hit .300 and Tony Womack hit .220 (these are baseball players, for those who don't know).

In the martial arts, it's usually not that simple. Yes, there are studies, there is data and there are proven techniques, systems and methodologies, but everyone has their own idea of what proven is and how valuable available data actually is. You can't point to a batting average like you can in baseball, for example, as a way of defining who is the best hitter. It doesn't translate across all arts or all backgrounds. And even if it does, it doesn't. This presents a unique challenge and one I've appreciated over these years. So, this makes for interesting discussions and our aim here is for those discussions to take place in a respectful setting.

Regarding my family, my brother reached Junior Purple Belt in American Kenpo Karate and my grandfather reached Brown Belt in Judo in the 1960s. I shared his Yellow Belt promotion certificate with the community in May. But, I can't say that either of these had anything to do with me starting this site, really.

I hope that this answers your questions. :)

Thanks,

Patrick