• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see.

I think it adds to the art also. So its not just a series of flailing techniques...which Sepai kata would look like if not for the pauses. It shows ichi geki hissatsu in some kata when you pause and move to another angle.

I'm not a great fan of the "one strike kill" concept, besides I don't think it has relevance here.

Perhaps the pauses are there for much simpler reasons like watching, waiting, and change of tack.

Besides, I think everyone has come to realise that kata do not represent front to back fighting examples

Maybe the pauses are there to seperate scenarios?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Besides, I think everyone has come to realise that kata do not represent front to back fighting examples

WNM

I like this idea.

Theres a story of Chibana Choshin that speaks of why he does Passai Dai kata the way he does, I say this is a story because I am unsure of its truth.

But...

His version of Passai Dai is done because of the way he seen a villager fight against a person on a bridge. And he noticed he did not use the wide stances as seen in other forms of Passai Dai. And instead his style pauses more for an effect on following his opponent. Because Chibana sensei's passai dai focuses on someone surrounding him.

Here's an excellent example of the TYPES of pauses that are found in Kata/Form as performed by Nao Morooka, Female Japan Karate Champion...

Nao Morooka displays with such perfection: the music of Kata, the drama of Kata, the concert of Kata, the theatrics of Kata, and the pauses found in Kata/Form. Very Solid!

:)

I love watching Nao Morooka; she's is one of Sensei Kagawa's best students.

I have a DVD with Nao performing some of the Kihon and Katas and it's just perfection.

I think this guy Luca Valdesi is the best I've ever seen:

Luca is good, but IMO his versions of katas are little to fast.

If you compare his Unsu to Kagawa's students:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q42Br_EaDlg

Kagawa's students timing and speed seem (IMO) more appropriate.

Mr valdesi is Extremely FAST...too fast I agree...

Hi AJ, how you doing fella?

Renraku in this context refers to techniques done in combination / as a phrase.

The word originally comes from the "Relay" of messages from one person to another and one point to another. So it has also come to mean to connect or communicate.

In Karate therefore renraku-waza refers to the relay /connection of techniques from one to another.

WNM

Hi WNM,

I'm fine, busy but fine ;) Hope you are as well? Say hi to your family and make sure not to forget;) On the other forum in your story you bring up your girls and then I rememberd them jumping around at ... am when I still needed some hours;)

Anyway, where did you hear that it comes from relay? I understand the concept of renrakuwaza, you can bring up connection, communication between movements, but ultimately it means continue to ippon. All other learning points or points of importance within these movements are secondary.

pauses in wado are not so apparent. perhaps other styles but not in wado. wado tsuki provides renraku in itself.

I think this guy Luca Valdesi is the best I've ever seen:

Luca is good, but IMO his versions of katas are little to fast.

If you compare his Unsu to Kagawa's students:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q42Br_EaDlg

Kagawa's students timing and speed seem (IMO) more appropriate.

Mr valdesi is Extremely FAST...too fast I agree...

Formally correct, I like that