• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why The Pauses?

sensei8

Kata is important and vital as far as the three K's of Karate is concerned. For any style of the martial arts that practice Kata/Form, one thing seems to be quite evident: THE PAUSE. What pause? The pause that seperates one technique(s) from another technique(s) that composes the Kata/Form.

Within any said Kata/Form there is a tempo, a rhythm, and/or a flow. Pauses within any said Kata/Form is akin to the varying rests that are found in any piece of music. These rests add to the bueaty of that piece of music. A built up to the crescendo as well as a calming down in the decrescendo; without the different dynamic music quotations in a piece of music, well, the music would be monotone.

Kata/Form is the music of any said martial art. Kata/Forms are sometimes referred to as a dance. One can't dance if the music doesn't come alive. A Kata/Form without the music isn't a bueaty to behold; monotonic Kata/Form is movement that's asleep from boredom.

The pauses found become as much as a part of the drama, or the play, that's on display as the Kata/Form itself. As in any good play, theatrics must be present to be enjoyed and to be shared and to be experienced, but, not for just the practitioner of the martial arts, but, also for the spectator as well.

A pause is delivered in a play as the visual cue within the drama of the play. A pause in a play causes the audience to wonder what's going to happen next. For example, the snapping turn of the head in a Kata/Form speaks loud in visual volumes. Another example, the facial gestures in a Kata/Form create chills in the audience.

For a play to be performed well, all of the players must be know their roles and in knowing their roles, body language that's appreciated and understood must be included within the script.

The conductor taps his/her baton to signal the orchrestra that it's time to sit up, backs straight, and play your music great. The director of the play shouts out for all of the actors/actresses that something is about to begin with...Lights, camera, sound, and action!

Questions:

A) Why are the pauses, in Kata/Form, where they are/aren't?

B) Why are the pauses, in Kata/Form, as long as they are/aren't?

C) Why are the pauses, in Kata/Form, as often as they are/aren't?

D) What do the pauses, in Kata/Form, depict?

E) Are the pauses, in Kata/Form, important?

F) Should there be more/less pauses, in Kata/Form?

G) Why are Kata's/Forms performed the way they are?

H) Was this how the originator of said Kata/Form created it?

Your thoughts?

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an excellent example of the TYPES of pauses that are found in Kata/Form as performed by Nao Morooka, Female Japan Karate Champion...

Nao Morooka displays with such perfection: the music of Kata, the drama of Kata, the concert of Kata, the theatrics of Kata, and the pauses found in Kata/Form. Very Solid!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi AJ, how you doing fella?

Renraku in this context refers to techniques done in combination / as a phrase.

The word originally comes from the "Relay" of messages from one person to another and one point to another. So it has also come to mean to connect or communicate.

In Karate therefore renraku-waza refers to the relay /connection of techniques from one to another.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

This is beautiful and I learned the rhythmn of my own Kata while doing it. Last time I did it in front my sensei, and he said my rhythmn and flow was excellent. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

"Waza no kankyu" is on of the principles of kata training.

It basically means that techniques in kata should be performed with relative and varying speed - slow, fast and with pauses (action and no action) and techniques in combination - where applicable.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

"Waza no kankyu" is on of the principles of kata training.

It basically means that techniques in kata should be performed with relative and varying speed - slow, fast and with pauses (action and no action) and techniques in combination - where applicable.

WNM

Like in Kata such as Suparinpei, and Seiyunchin?