• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt purchase

dave_pfc

Hi there. I'm hoping to pass to 1st Dan in the next few months and want to get an embroidered black belt. I want to get one with red embroidery, Japanese text. Does anyone know where I can get belts with red embroidery? Most people with black belts seem to have gold text but I would prefer red.

What do people generally have on embroidered belts, i.e. is it meant to be your name and is this normally done at both ends?

Also is it the 'silk' black belts that fray at the edges over time as I quite like that effect?

Thank you,

Dave

I believe he says he wants a belt that frays...he has yet to classify as to which frays...cause he doest NOT KNOW!!! :o

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't you be focusing on your grading rather than the belt?

Sure great to set yourself a goal, but shouldn't that be just passing.

I have several bbs, but the best one is the one my sensei awarded me - verbally!

WNM

Sure, my grading is getting plenty of attention but I don't intend to spend 100% of my time on it so no harm in asking the questions ay?

Just need the one black belt rather than several. Look forward to my grading!

Depends on how much you want to spend?

If you want to be really authentic then go for an "Hirota" belt.

Mind you, not cheap but Hirota is a very popular brand in Japan (Tokaido is considered export fodder).

They have started to sell them in Europe out of Holland. Not sure they have an outlet in the US.

Here is the .jp site:

http://www.karategi-hirota.co.jp/e-hirota/index.html

And here is the Dutch site.

http://www.bestkarategi.eu/products/

WNM

Thank you!

If you want to be really authentic then go for an "Hirota" belt.

Mind you, not cheap but Hirota is a very popular brand in Japan (Tokaido is considered export fodder).

... you do know that Hirota and Yamaga are both brands that split from Tokaido right?

Not only are their methods of manufacturing, fabrics, cuts and prices almost the same, but most of the higher-ups in the company used to work for Tokaido.

The reason why people in the US talk more about Tokaido is because it's existed longer, not because it's export fodder compared to Hirota. They're virtually the same. I am not saying this because I just own belts and gis from all of these brands. I also went to all three companies' factories while in Japan and have seen dojos full of Japanese people who train in all three brands about equally. Something I did notice while in Japan is that each dojo I trained in did tend to choose one brand to be loyal to. Maybe WNM's dojo chose Hirota?

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 3 weeks later...

I have two belts, both from Kamikaze. They're cotton, 10 rows of stitching each, but they offer up to 12. I have stripes embroidered in red and my name and my style on each side embroidered in gold. I'd expect most quality belt manufacturers would offer both colors in any form you want. The local sewing shops i went to though didn't have equipment to sew stripes through the material though, so for any additional stripes I'll have to send the belt away. Regardless it's a small price to pay for a nice belt that's lasted me 4 years now. The belts do fray as well, mine was after about a year of hard training with it

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

• 5 weeks later...