• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Manabu"

Manabu is an okinawan term, but it i widely used in japan as well. And not entirely in a good way. I will start off by explaining what the term means, if you do not already know.

Manabu, translates to "imitation". Budo ka use it as if one were saying "learn by imitating" Thus it is used in modern and traditional martial arts...but not so much as the classical arts, when it was first started.

I guess what I am asking is what your opinion is on the term. Do you think it is ok for a student to imitate his or her teacher.

I believe that it can be detrimental to the student and to the spirit of the art you are a practitioner of. For one, it does not allow for personality to seep into the forms. You need to express yourself through these forms for it to be successful. No ko bu do or Kara Te Do kata should ever be exactly the same. In Iaido it should and can, but never for the two listed above.

When you imitate a form from your teacher, you will always try your best to do it his way, and that is not necessarily right. For some that may be so, but not to me...and I regard each and every one of you that my way is not the best way either.

This is why I ask you, the wonderful kind people Karate Forums, and I also would greatly appreciate your advice patrick. I notice you dont post alot in terms of general martial arts, but I think that this is a question for everyone whether or not, you are training now, or not. Or if your just a voyeuristic martial artist. This does not matter. I want opinions only. Not facts....when people begin to think they are experts in every field, it is then an argument arises.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

this reminds me of the old cliche saying, do as I say, not as I do. There are times where I as sempai or as student has known that there are better or ways to do things but due to my own quirks have either been currently unable to demonstrate the proper way to execute a technique. I think what a good teacher has to do is look at their own skillset and ensure that their student gets the benefit of his or her strengths and not suffer due to the teachers shortcomings.

The reason I don't talk about the martial arts very much is because I'm not a martial artist. :) So, I stick to what I know and only reply when I think I have something viable to add. I appreciate the invitation, in any case.

Thanks,

Patrick