• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Entering my first Kata competition on the 12th

Blade96

Try to just relax and enjoy the tournament. When it's your turn to perform your Kata, just perform it at the tournament exactly as you've done many times before in front of your sensei/class mates.

Make sure you breath because many don't. Keep your head up, your posture upright, and nice loud kiai's. When your name is called. Stand up, bow in to the ring, walk sharply, stop right in front of the judges in your ready stance, and introduce yourself, your style, name of the Kata you'll be performing, ask permission to begin, and be confident. About 26 seconds later you'll be done, then, after you bow at the end of the kata, remain still in your ready stance while the judges render their scores. Once the scores are presented, one of the judges will dismiss you, then bow again, turn sharply and exit the ring.

Will you be scared? Yes. Will it be the end of the world? No. I'm sure that you'll do just fine. Your nerves will be shot, just like they were when you performed in front of your sensei and your fellow students. The atmosphere at a tournament is on a much larger scale then what your use to at the dojo, but, it's pretty much the same.

Did I get nervious? Oh yeah, each and every time. Everyone has butterflies in their stomach I'd imagine for whatever their reasons are. But for me, I knew that it would be over in a blink of an eye and that I'd be ok.

Relax, breath, don't over think everything, and have fun. Visit with friends and meet new friends. Who knows, you might even win a trophy and that's cool!

Good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a Minute. Aint Kanazawa that guy who's 10th dan?

watched him already on youtube He's like, pocketfuls of fly! I think he's who i seen.

Thanks for the advice everyone! The hip action while doing the shutos (my favorite block I think, no, wait a minute, I can't decide between that and gedan barai, maybe age uke, aw heck, I love all of them) makes a lot of sense to me, as I know well already you generate power shotokan through hips and legs. Makes total sense. and looking at your opponent in that direction just before you turn....I do that now already.

btw thank you, sensei8! I like this post too! :)

btw we get medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. not a trophy. I'm not doing it for that though. I'm doing it to get used to performing, in front of lots of people, because its what I have to do to test for the belts. and as someone else said, for humility and humbleness. I'll do my best though. If i wind up with a medal - as you said that'll really smell of pocketfuls of fly. =]

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

watched him already on youtube He's like, pocketfuls of fly! I think he's who i seen.

Thanks for the advice everyone! The hip action while doing the shutos (my favorite block I think, no, wait a minute, I can't decide between that and gedan barai, maybe age uke, aw heck, I love all of them) makes a lot of sense to me, as I know well already you generate power shotokan through hips and legs. Makes total sense. and looking at your opponent in that direction just before you turn....I do that now already.

btw thank you, sensei8! I like this post too! :)

btw we get medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. not a trophy. I'm not doing it for that though. I'm doing it to get used to performing, in front of lots of people, because its what I have to do to test for the belts. and as someone else said, for humility and humbleness. I'll do my best though. If i wind up with a medal - as you said that'll really smell of pocketfuls of fly. =]

He is indeed he taught my instructor when I did karate.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Good luck be sure to let us know how you get on.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

Although he does not turn his head to the imaginary opponent first before the turns...

Why would you need to turn your head if your oponent is only imaginary?

Surely your oponent is already in your head?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

As you no katas are practice as if you are in a real fight so you should turn your head as so. Would you not turn an look at your opponent as you are striking? Head movement is something I am working on.

Blade96

Get plenty of rest, relax, have fun and make clean strong movements and strong stance. Most all have fun!

"Pocketfuls of Fly" now that's an awesome expression 8)

As you no katas are practice as if you are in a real fight so you should turn your head as so. Would you not turn an look at your opponent as you are striking? Head movement is something I am working on.

Blade96

Get plenty of rest, relax, have fun and make clean strong movements and strong stance. Most all have fun!

i showed part of heian shodan to my father and he said after i explained what a gedan barai was and after i did the first one and he said What if your opponent goes to hit you in the head instead of aiming low when i said you always do this first move with heian shodan. I didnt know how to answer him even though i said its only pretend opponent but you act like he's real.

I will let you know how I do. I figure its my first competition im going to and im little white belt so i figure if i finish in the top ten or so of little kata white belt competition i did pretty good medal or no medal hehe ;)

and oh yeah, nice loud kiai's......You won't wanna hear my Kiai...I'm gonna rock the roof haha....and I do 2 of them in heian shodan.

btw i find if i turn my head it helps with balance too when turning.

as for 'pocketfuls of fly' I made that one up =]

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.