• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GM Hae Man Park TKD Poomse Seminar

Yesterday at our Karate (Shotokan) Dojo, Gandmaster Hae Man Park (9th Dan) gave us (and others in attendance) a seminar on TDK Poomse (Taegeuk series)

It was really insightful and definately interesting to see the differences and similarities between Shotokan and TKD.

But learning from one of the architects of Taegeuk was really a big deal for me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thats cool Chuck. :) Did he teach you any of the poomse?

Yes, We also went through basics, Taegeuk 6 and 7.

It was really cool he broke it down in detail and went through the application of the moves.

Also, afterwards we went to dinner (Korean of course).

Grandmaster Park gave a great histroy lesson about the history of Palgwe, Taegeuk, TDK, TSD, and Karate. (translation was provided by Grandmaster Kim)

I'm stil lin awe.

Sounds like a great experience. He actually went into detail about the relations between TKD and Shotokan?

Yes, but a lot of stuff got lost in the translation because he hardly gave Master Kim a chance to translate. Master Park would talk for minutes between very brief periods of translation by Master Kim.

He did go into detail how TKD is rooted in TangSooDo which is the Korean version of Karate-Shotokan (Teng/Chinese Hand)among other styles (i.e. the various Kwans, taekkyeon, etc). He explained the main difference as TDK developed, was of course the kicks.

(This is interesting) Master Park stated (in part/and jokingly) the reason many of the Poomse forms start with a down block is because Karate's highest and only kicks were to the groin (front snap). Also more importantly, the Poomse(s) are based on the conepts of modern Karate as a defense art, so forms start with a block/defensive move. In TKD, TSD, and Shotokan all forms start with a defensive move.

Edited by Chuck

GM Park is a great man & a true treasure in Taekwondo. I've had the pleasure of training under him twice.

I'd encourage anyone to go to seminar where he is teaching. Whether you're TKD or not, you will learn a great deal. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Yes, thanks a lot, Chuck. Finding a Korean master who will actually admit to TKD's roots in Shotokan is tough to come by. I think it is admirable that he does so.

Yes, thanks a lot, Chuck. Finding a Korean master who will actually admit to TKD's roots in Shotokan is tough to come by. I think it is admirable that he does so.

Well, it's certainly surprising to hear it from someone of GM Park's status. Good stuff :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I believe that is a great feat of Mr Park's personal character. Alot of koreans still hold a deep grudge against japanese people for the containment and killing of many koreans during the occupation of Korea by the Japanese, and that was very sincere of Mr Park to admit roots within Shotokan.