• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seiyunchin

Ichi_Geki

I have seen several "definitions" for Seiunchin but often "conquer far quietly" whatever that means in relation to the kata.

I don't think anyone alive really has the correct meanings or the original kanji.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Whatever the meaning of the name might be....it's a very solid Kata across the board.

:)

Damnright...the legs get quite the workout with those kiba-dachi stances.

I love this kata, and the kiba dachi is the key to the workout you get from it.

Now i'm gonna nitpick a little…I hear this a lot — kiba dachi means horse or horseback stance, but a lot of people say "kiba dachi stance" which means "horse stance stance" If you say dachi, you don't need to say stance after it.

Sorry — it seems minor, but for some reason I have to say something when I hear it — I can't help myself!

Sensei Russell Bianca

Brooklyn Kenshikai Karatedo

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215

I am curious - I practice Seiryu kata (it is one of Dai Sensei Yagi Meitokus own dojo katas) and was wondering what in what language Seiryu translates to blue dragon? Thanks.

• 3 years later...
Whatever the meaning of the name might be....it's a very solid Kata across the board.

Damnright...the legs get quite the workout with those kiba-dachi stances.

I love this kata, and the kiba dachi is the key to the workout you get from it.

Now i'm gonna nitpick a little…I hear this a lot — kiba dachi means horse or horseback stance, but a lot of people say "kiba dachi stance" which means "horse stance stance" If you say dachi, you don't need to say stance after it.

Sorry — it seems minor, but for some reason I have to say something when I hear it — I can't help myself!

Is it not shiko daichi ?

Be like water !

I am curious - I practice Seiryu kata (it is one of Dai Sensei Yagi Meitokus own dojo katas) and was wondering what in what language Seiryu translates to blue dragon? Thanks.

Hello rmcfee,

The name seiryu is Japanese. The Kanji or Chinese characters for seiryu is 青龍. The first character is blue or azure and the second one means dragon. This name is usually associated with Feng Shui or Fusui in Japanese. The Okinawan or Uchina-guchi word for Feng Shui/Fusui is Funshi- .

Byakko, shujakku, and Genbu are other names that may be familiar to you as well. Again, these names are in the Japanese language.

Respectfully,

Robert Orozco

• 1 month later...

Pull/control/suppress

Marching far quietly

My teacher's Teacher visited last summer and showed us his Seyunchin, now please understand I may represent this wrong but as I understood it he said at that level, Seyunchin means calm within the storm, or law of the storm. It was certainly Seyunchin, but it looked like crashing of waves, it was one of the few kata "performances" I've seen to blow my mind! I said to myself "THAT'S the level I want my kata".

"Karate is about digging deeper, not climbing higher."