• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido In Competition

Despite what people might say, aikido and aikijujitsu can be quite effective in and out of the dojo, however, all i find for aikido competition is that when paired with a non-compliant opponent, aikido turns into judo-like wrestling.

How does one apply aikido or aikijujitsu against a non-compliant opponent?

Anyone can clear this up for me?

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I never seen an iriminage done in Judo so Im not all that sure either,

but when I gave my aikido seminar to my students, all were unwilling to budge until the iriminage comes out, and something about it proves to be very difficult. I guess its the surprise that gets them especially if your not well tuned with Aikido either.

Here is something to think about:

Though I am always the last person ever to say that one style is superior to another - I have yet to use any kind of Kuk Sool Won throw on anyone above yellow belt in my Judo class. My Judo teacher told me once "wrist throws are good for a lot of self defense situations but if you try them against an experienced grappler, it won't work." Maybe there is some validity to this statement after all?

Coming out of an aikijutsu based art, I've had a pretty good amount of expousure to their movements. I've never used it in competition, but I have used them, or modified versions of such on resistive subjects in actual situations.

My japanese is horrible so I won't try to dazzle you with their names for things. I've used all sorts of leg reaps and associated takedowns, different variations of armbars and shoulder locks and the occassional small joint manipulation.

Although primarily I rely on body contact takedowns, all of the above tactics have served me well at one time or another. Certainly they become less effective against skilled opponants, but this is true of many options. I do think that these types of things suffer more in application than more gross motor efforts, which is why I use lots of single and double leg movements to put people down. But they are still good tools to have if you've spent the time with them.

To apply the techniques of Aikido against a non-compliant opponent, it is necessary to either provide some energy, or use the energy provided by the opponent (that is, if you are only applying Aikido principles).

Now, if you are not averse to using some strikes to loosen things up a bit, then that can help things a bit.

Agreed.

In fact, all the aikijutsu I've seen is always heavy in strikes. I think that their methods could be shortened (and apparently others did to hence the off shoot backgroud I come out of) but the principle is there and that's where you start to make things happen.

That is why I like my Combat Hapkido more than my Aikido. I like the strikes, and the shorter, more direct routs that are taken to get to your destination.