• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting a DOJO

According to the IMA (my old assn), you have to be a first dan to teach (at a dojang run by a higher rank). You have to 4th dan to open your own dojang under the assn. You also have to take a seperate test for "master" to do so also. I guess it's a teaching test of some sort. I never asked.

I hear that in TKD that they would rather you be a 4th dan and up to open your own dojang. But that's not a "rule" I don't think. But when I open a dojang, I would rather wait till I'm a 4th dan, at least. And a 1st dan (at least) in one other art.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It all depends on the style, I know in the form of Aki-Jujitsu that I took you had to start teaching at brown (either in your own Dojo or at the main one), it was even a requirement to advance to black.

Waiting until you're at least a 1st Dan might be the smartest route, though.

I'd say 3rd dan at least. Possible 2nd if you're really really good. I personally wouldn't train under anyone under 5th.

My sensei is a godan, after 27 years. I guess it's not that pleasant to wait that long to teach :D

In our Shotokan federation if you are ashodan, you may teach. It means you've been training VERY hard for 6-7 years. I think it qualifies someone :)