• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in Okinawa

Pacificshore

Has anyone here had the opportunity to attend the training in Okinawa sponsored by the Okinawa Prefecture Karate Do Federation and Classical Fighting Arts Magazine?

The next sponsored training trip is scheduled for April 2010. Sounds like a good deal with 5 full days of training with notable instructors. Anyway, if anyone has attended this particular training, would be great to hear some feedback. It is something I am looking to probably try and do down the road!

Thanks....

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my best friend and teacher and some of our black belts got invited to okinawa by by master shimabuku last year. they are planning another trip next year I think. Even though not really related he said it was the best experience he ever had.

I'm hoping to join them next year for it.

Very good. Again, I've never had the opportunity but given one I'd do my best to take it.

Hope it works out for you.

Deffinately somthing i would like to do when im older

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

Quite frankly, I wouldn't bother - just one big tourist trap to take your money and hand out a piece of paper that says - you trained in Okinawa.

If that floats your boat, then go for it.

WNM

I dont think its a tourist trap for that matter, I actually think its a great experience, and from what I hear most of the 'profit' goes to the maintaining of the budokan. Thats just what I hear.

But I would go just to meet Sensei's I have yet to meet such as Iga Sensei.

• 2 weeks later...

our club was the pioneer group for these trips. I was awed by the skill of the instructors and their warmth and humility. I would recommend it to anyone interested in traditional Karate. Some of these guys have been training almost eighty years. I feel so fortunate and thankful to my instructors for providing the opportunity for us to go there. there is a video on YouTube with small clips of the training and of the island at