• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone else ever feel this way?

This past Sunday I competed in the RGDA internationals in NJ. After cooling my heels for about 4 hours before I actually got to compete, I get on the mat and end up getting tapped within the first minute ( arm bar) after the time I had been spending on the mat training and going and participating in tournaments, it seems like it's back to the drawing board. Now I don't mind losing, but losing that badly bothers me, it made me feel totally frustrated and depressed, thinking that by now I should have done so much better. I don't think i am that bad but I felt like a fool

Anybody else that can relate

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't compete in martial arts, but I've travelled internationally for badminton tournaments, and sometimes been knocked out in the first match. It does seem a lot of effort for relatively little, but I think it helps to view the whole thing as an ongoing experience, rather than think of that one tournament or trip in isolation. What you're trying to do is improve your odds, but also see what you can produce in the heat of the moment. Dealing with unfamiliar opponents and environments, things can easily be up or down for you on the day. I also think it helps to travel with other people, even as a team, so you can stay focused on their progress and enjoying the company. Of course, watch the other players and learn what you can... it all soaks in and gets you better prepared for next time, but also let go of the expectation and let yourself enjoy the environment....

Regards,

Tony

I know what that's like. I have yet to be in a competition where I didn't place last. I keep making stupid mistakes. And my stupid mistakes are like snowflakes. None are alike.

Tony: good points there. Solid, and I like that outlook.

Glock: yeah, I've been there. Sometimes, I still feel like I am there.

BB of C: I know that feeling, too. There are times when all those snowflakes show up at once, and I am standing in a blizzard! :lol:

I can't relate because I have never competed.

However Losing is not a problem sure you can sit there an be disapointed or you can try to work out the why? and how?

If you know what you did wrong thats a step to doing it better next time.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Been there, done that GM. Sure it stings, and the time in prep that you spent for the tourny hurts but in the long run that time just made you better. The outcome of a match isn't what made you better, it's the time you spent training.

And who knows who the dude you tapped to was. He could have been sandbagging, or he could have just been a phenom at your rank, or he could be right on par with you and ended up just a hair better that day. Any are okay.

Good luck with the rebound.

• 6 months later...

Sometimes people just have a bad day, and you shouldnt stress over it, just think of it as another experience. In my opinion, the losers are the lucky ones, they get to learn the most, those who win at everything do not learn where their flaws are, and the only way they do find out is through a devastating loss.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember every loss and how it happened, what went through my mind, and the mistake I made. Although, I have hundreds of matches and victories I can't remember any of the wins as vividly. The high I get from winning is fleeting compared to the sleep I lose over losing. But being highly competitive, it drives me. Each loss taught me more than winning... at least about jiu jitsu and what I needed to improve on.

Take this time to determine what is missing from your training. Technique? Conditioning? Adequate training partners? Competent coaching?