• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwonDo black belt testing,

For grading and/or promotion, does breaking really stand to merit or mirror self defense applications?

I think it should. It shows how much force one can execute and shows how conditioned ones self truly is. At least thats what I was taught to look for in tamechiwari and machiwara demonstration during our testing. She favors the elbow smash, good. But she should be trying to focus on something more practical like her kicks so if she does not make contact she can at least add distance. For an elbow technique you have to be pretty close.

I respectfully "somewhat" disagree. For many decades I had experienced and observed brawls. I rarely seen applications of kicks, pressure points, etc. Of course this is situational to the people involved and their environment.

I would think a elbow smash woul be a more probable tactic in defense than many kicks.

IMHO

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I halfheartedly agree with you. So I almost there. For a girl her size I would teach kicks to keep space...if someone gets in close and can keep a hold on her, its over. She should have kept her distance as much as possible, especially with her technique. It is far from being able to be associated with the term "Ichigeki Hissatsu"

I halfheartedly agree with you. So I almost there. For a girl her size I would teach kicks to keep space...if someone gets in close and can keep a hold on her, its over. She should have kept her distance as much as possible, especially with her technique. It is far from being able to be associated with the term "Ichigeki Hissatsu"

I have seen many females, not able to launch a kick. That if they had learned a proper elbow, eye rake, knee, close range stuff, they would have faired much better.

As I continue to state, it is all situational-circumstantial.

Can you imagine how embarrassing that must be for her to go to a tournament and wonder why she did not place?...

As I've mentioned in various posts scattered aroudn thsi site, I've been a judge/referee at open (all styles) tournaments since 1980 or so and have seen quite a number of "black belts" with technique like this competing. Some were ranked as high as 3rd Dans. The only time they place in the top 3 is if there are 3 or less competitors in that particular event.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

And then some wonder why they could not place. Blaming everything and everyone but themselves.

The person to blame is the sensei or the association that allows that sort of level of expertice to be promoted to black belt. Quite honestly, I wouldn't find that level of technique to pass a lower level kyu test, let alone a black belt test.

Someone earlier stated that maybe that video was taken somewhere towards the end of the test where the student was tired...in my opinion, that is no excuse for that sort of demonstration. Not at dan level...not at ANY level other than gross beginner perhaps.

On a personal note, often times people wonder why the Korean arts get bashed so much...well, look at that video again and you'll see a prime example of why.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.